"EMLEY, (or Elmley), a parish in the lower division of the wapentake of Agbrigg, West Riding county York, 7 miles N. of Huddersfield, and 8 S.W. of Wakefield, its post town. It is situated on a tributary of the river Dearne, and includes the hamlets of Cumberworth-Half and Skelmanthorpe. The village is pleasantly situated on the declivity of a hill, and a considerable number of the inhabitants are employed in weaving and in the collieries. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ripon, value £422. The church is a stone edifice, with square embattled tower, and is dedicated to St. Michael. The register commences in 1600. The parochial charities produce about £24 per annum, £2 of which are for school purposes. The Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists and Reformed Wesleyans have each a place of worship. There is an endowed British school. The old family seat of the Ketons has been demolished, and the park divided into farms. The Earl of Scarborough is lord of the manor."
"BENTLEY GRANGE, a hamlet in the parish of Emley, and wapentake of Agbrigg, in the West Riding of the county of York, 6 miles to the E. of Huddersfield."
"SCISSETT, an ecclesiastical district in the township of Cumberworth, and parishes of Emley, Kirkburton, and Silkstone, West Riding county York, 4 miles N.W. of Penistone, and 8 S.E. of Huddersfield. It is a populous district, containing in 1861 about 3,131 inhabitants, and includes the hamlet of Skelmanthorpe. There are several worsted and woollen mills for making fancy cloths, worsted damasks, and other fancy stuffs. The water, from its purity and softness, is considered peculiarly adapted for preparation of the raw materials. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Ripon, value £133. The church, dedicated to St. Augustine, has a square embattled tower, and was erected in 1839 at an expense of £2,000. There are National schools."
"SKELMANTHORPE, a hamlet in the township of Cumberworth, and parishes of Emley and High Hoyland, West Riding county York, 6 miles S.E. of Huddersfield. The land is fertile, and the substratum contains freestone and coal. The village, which is considerable, contains several mills for the manufacture of worsted and silk goods. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans, and a National school supported partly by a small endowment. On the enclosure of Cumberworth common 7 acres were allotted to this hamlet."
"WHITE CROSS, a hamlet in the parish of Emley, West Riding county York, 8 miles S.E. of Huddersfield."
"WOODHOUSE, a hamlet in the parish of Emley, West Riding county York, 7 miles S.E. of Huddersfield."