Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for In 1822, the following places were in the Parish of Emley:

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

In 1822, the following places were in the Parish of Emley:


"BENTLEY GRANGE, a farm-house in the township and parish of Emley, liberty of Wakefield; 7 miles SW. of Wakefield."


"EMLEY LODGE, a farm-house in the township and parish of Emley; 7 miles from Huddersfield."


"OLD HALL, a farm-house in the township and parish of Emley; 7½ miles from Huddersfield and Wakefield."


"PARK GATE, and Park House, 2 or 3 h. in the township and parish of Emley; 8 miles from Huddersfield and Wakefield."


"SCISSETT, the village now known as Scissett was originally three or four scattered cottages and a corn mill in the bottom of the River Dearne valley in the parish of Emley. Early in the 19th century a local small time clothier bought this mill and as his business grew, he built houses near his factory for his weavers. Other houses quickly followed and the village came into being. A church dedicated to St Augustine was built in the late 1830's and consecrated in 1839 as a chapel in the parishes of Emley and High Hoyland. The village did not increase much in size in the later 19th century due to a depression in the textile trade but the turn of the century brought some revitalisation. The textile trade has now virtually disappeared from the area but other industries have taken over the buildings and Scissett, although small, still thrives." (There is further information for Scissett).


"SKELMANTHORPE, in the townships of Cumberworth, and Cumberworth half, and parishes of High Hoyland and Emley, liberty of Pontefract; 8 miles SE. of Huddersfield and Wakefield."


"UPPER CUMBERWORTH, or Cumberworth Half, in the parishes of Kirkburton and Emley, Agbrigg-division of Agbrigg and Morley, liberty of Wakefield, 5½ miles from Penistone, 8 from Huddersfield, 10 from Barnsley. Pop. 1,120. Here is a Chapel dedicated to St. Nicholas."


"WHITCROSS, a farm-house in the township and parish of Emley, liberty of Wakefield, 7 miles ESE. of Huddersfield and 7 from Wakefield."

[Description(s) edited from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson © 2013]