Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for EXTRAPAROCHIAL: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

EXTRAPAROCHIAL: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.

"EXTRAPAROCHIAL, a parish in the West Riding. (not really, but it creates a page to put the extra-parochial places in)"


"HAVERAH PARK, a liberty (extra-parochial), in the lower division of the wapentake of CLARO, West riding of the county of YORK, 8 miles W.S.W. from Knaresborough, containing 87 inhabitants. It is within the peculiar and exclusive ecclesiastical jurisdiction of the court of the honour of Knaresborough."


"LINDRICK, a liberty (extra-parochial), in the lower division of the wapentake of CLARO, West riding of the county of YORK, 2 miles S.W. from Ripon, containing 62 inhabitants."


"MICKLEWAITE GRANGE, a liberty (extra-parochial), in the upper division of the wapentake of BARKSTONE- ASH, West riding of the county of YORK, a mile S.W. from Wetherby, containing 83 inhabitants."


"NEWLAND, a liberty (extra-parochial), in the lower division of the wapentake of AGBRIGG, West riding of the county of YORK, 3 miles N.E. from Wakefield, containing 46 inhabitants. There was formerly an old chapel near the mansion house, but it was taken down about fifty years ago. Courts leet and baron are annually held here, under the styles of " the Court Leet of our Sovereign Lord the King," and "the Great Court Baron of the Manor of Newland cum Woodhouse Moor," which was parcel of the possessions of the Knights Hospitallers, who, in the reign of John, established here. a preceptory of their order, valued at the dissolution at £202. 3. 8. per annum."


"OCCANEY, a district (extra-parochial), in the upper division of the wapentake of CLARO, West riding of the county of YORK, 3 miles N. from KnareSborough. The population is returned with Walkmgnam Hill."


"PONTEFRACT PARK, a liberty (extra-parochial), in the upper division of the wapentake of OSGOLDCROSS, West riding of the county of YORK, a mile N.N.W. from Pontefract, containing 47 inhabitants."


"SAWLEY, a liberty (extra-parochial), in the western division of the wapentake of STAINCLIFFE-and-EWCROSS West riding of the county of YORK, 4 miles N.E. from Clitheroe, containing, with Tosside, 561 inhabitants. A Cistercian abbey, in honour of the Blessed Virgin, was founded here, in 1146, by William de Percy, the revenue of which, at the dissolution, was estimated at £221.15. 8. The ruined gate-house has been converted into a cottage, and the greater part of the nave and transept, with the foundations of the choir and chapter-house, still remain."


"WALKINGHAM HILL, a liberty (extra-parochial), in the upper division of the wapentake of CLARO, West riding of the county of YORK, 4 miles N. from Knaresborough, containing, with Occaney, 24 inhabitants. It is within the peculiar jurisdiction of the court of the honour of Knaresborough."

[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]