"HAMPOLE, (extra-parochial) in the lower-division of Strafforth and Tickhill; 6¾ miles NW. of Doncaster, 9 from Pontefract, 13½ from Wakefield. Pop. including Stubbs, 140, which being united, form a township.
A Priory was built here about the year 1170, by William de Clarefai and Avicia de Fanai, his wife, for fourteen or fifteen Cistercian Nuns, and dedicated to the Virgin Mary; valued at the dissolution at £63. 5s. 8d. Dugdale; £83. 6s. 11d. Speed. The site, with demesnes, were granted to Francis Aislaby, in 6th Edward VI. 1552.
This Nunnery stood in a pleasant vale, in a fine country, near to the high road leading from Wakefield to Doncaster. At present there is an old hall, which seems either to have been part of the Priory, or built out of its ruins. --Dugdale. --Burton.
Here lived Richard Role, a hermit, whom Gray, in his introduction to his Key to the Old Testament, says, "one of the first attempts at a translation Into the English language of the Bible, as spoken after the conquest, appears to have been made by Richard Role, an hermit of Hampole, in Yorkshire, who translated and wrote a Gloss. upon the Psalter, and a metrical paraphrase of the book of Job; he died A.D. 1349.""
"HAVERAH PARK, (extra-parochial) in the lower-division of Claro, liberty of Knaresborough; 3 miles W. of Harrogate, 7 miles from Knaresborough, 8 from Otley. Pop. 87.
This Park, formerly a royal Chace, containing upwards of 2000 acres, now divided into farms, is the property of Sir William Inglby, Bart. in whose family it has been for many ages.
At the west end of the ancient enclosure, situated on the point of a hill, are the remains of a strong tower, with suitable out works; the foundations, and part of the gateway only remaining. Its dimensions appear to have been an exact square, each side measuring fifty feet; the ditch, in some places, is twenty four feet deep, and five hundred feet in circumference. By whom the park was enclosed, or the tower erected, is not known; it is commonly called "John of Gaunt's Castle," and, perhaps, was erected by that Prince, when Lord of Knaresborough about the year 1371."
"HAZELWOOD CASTLE, (extra-parochial) in the township of Sutton with Hazlewood. (a seat of Sir Thomas Vavasour, Bart.) This was originally known as Hazelwood Hall."
"LINDRICK, (or Linderick) a hamlet (extra-parochial) in the lower-division of Claro; 2 miles from Ripon. Pop. 62"
"MARKENFIELD HALL, a farm-house (extra-parochial), in the township of Markenfield with Wallerthwaite, lower-division of Claro, liberty of Ripon; 3½ miles S. of Ripon." (There is further information for Markenfield Hall).
"MONKHILL, (extra-parochial) in the wapentake of Osgoldcross, liberty of Pontefract, which it adjoins. Pop. 40.
Here stood the Priory of St. John, founded by Robert de Lacy, in the year 1090, for Monks of the order of St. Benedict. The rule of this order was principally founded on silence, solitude, prayer, humility, and obedience: the Monks were enjoined a total abstinence from all animal food, and wine was wholly prohibited: the priory was surrendered, by James Twaeytes, the last Prior, Nov. 24th 1539."
"PONTEFRACT PARK, a township, (extra-parochial) in the wapentake of Osgoldcross, liberty of Pontefract; 1½ miles W. of Pontefract. Pop. 47."
"SAWLEY, (extra-parochial) west-division and liberty of Staincliffe; 4 miles NNE. of Clitheroe, (Lanc.) 12 from Colne, (ditto) 15½ from Skipton. Pop. including Tosside, 561, which being united, form a township.
Here was an Abbey (Sallay Abbey) of the Cistercian Order, founded by William de Percy, in 1147, at which time, Abbot Benedict, with twelve Monks and ten Conversi, removed to Sallay from Fountains. It was valued at the dissolution, at £147. per ann. The site, with all it's appendages, was granted by King Henry VIII. to Sir Arthur Darcy, to be held in capite, by Knights service. Great part of the nave and transept are standing: the choir and chapter House are yet traceable by their foundations: the gateway is converted in a cottage: in the walls of the adjoining houses, are several well cut shields, exhibiting the arms of Percy, Lacy, Tempest, Hammerton, &c. The Manor and Demesnes belong at present to the Right Hon. Lord Grantham. --Grose."
"STUDLEY ROYAL, (extra-parochial); 2 miles SW. of Ripon, the seat of Mrs. Lawrence:
The celebrated Park and Pleasure Grounds here, have long been admired as the first in the north of England, and which are visited by many hundreds every season. They consist of about 650 acres, diversified by various inequalities, clothed with large and beautiful timber, and well stocked with deer. The views are many and grand. Ripon and its Minster are seen to great advantage. It is fall of lofty hedges, which are neatly trimmed, and the waters, which are numerous, are kept within borders, "shaven with the scythe, and levelled with the roller," and lined with statue, and refreshed with cascades. These grounds were begun to be laid out about the year 1720.
The Mansion House, which is large and spacious, is highly finished and well protected by stately woods, and ornamented with numerous paintings by the first masters.
No fanciful description can do justice to the exuberant distribution of nature and art, which surrounds one on every side, on entering these beautiful and enchanting grounds; the mind can never cease to wonder, in contemplating nor the eye tire in beholding them.
The first of the name of Aislabie who possessed this enchanting place, was George Aislabie, Esq. principal Registrar in the Ecclesiastical Court at York, who died in 1674. He married Mary, the eldest daughter of Sir John Mallorie; Sir John's son dying under age, he became master of his fortune. His son John was Mayor of Ripon, in 1702, and Chancellor of the Exchequer, in 1718; he died in 1742, and his son William, in 1781. Being no male issue, the estates descended to his two daughters; the eldest was widow of Charles Allanson, Esq. On her death in 1808, it descended to the wife of William Lawrence, Esq. whose daughter is the present possessor.
In these grounds stand the Ruin's of Fountains Abbey, the grandest, and most beautiful, perhaps, the kingdom can produce, and which give an additional interest to the unequalled grounds of Studley. See article, Fountain's Abbey."
"TOSSIDE ROW, (extra-parochial) in the township of Sawley with Tosside; 8 miles S. of Settle, 14½ from Clitheroe, (Lanc.)"
"WALKINGHAM HILL, a farm-house (extra-parochial) lower-division of Claro; 4 miles NNW. of Knaresborough, 4 from Boroughbridge, 5 from Ripley. Pop. including Ockeney, 24, which being united form a township."
"WARSILL, (extra-parochial) lower-division of Claro, liberty of Ripon; 6½ miles from Ripon and Ripley. Pop. 86. These two villages with Sawley, form the constablery of Sawley with Warsill."
[Description(s) edited from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson © 2013]