Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for FELKIRK: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

FELKIRK: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

"FELKIRK, a parish in the wapentake of Staincross, West Riding county York, 5 miles N.E. of Barnsley, and 8 S.E. of Wakefield, its post town. The Cudworth station on the Midland railway is about 3 miles S.W. of the village. The parish includes the townships of Brierley, Havercroft, Hiendley, and Shafton, with the hamlets of Cold Hiendley and Grimethorpe. The Barnsley canal passes through the parish. There are several quarries of good building stone. The surface is undulating, and the scenery in many parts picturesque. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of York, value £136, in the patronage of the archbishop. The church is an ancient stone edifice, with a square embattled tower. It is dedicated to St. Peter, and contains the mortuary chapel of the viscounts Galway. The parochial charities produce about £30 per annum. The Wesleyans have a chapel. There are National and endowed schools. George Foljambe, Esq., is lord of the manor."


"BRIERLEY, a township in the parish of Felkirk, wapentake of Staincross, in the West Riding of the county of York, 5 miles to the N.E. of Barnsley. Grimethorpe is a hamlet of this township The workpeople are principally employed in the cloth manufacture."


"COLD HIENDLEY, a township in the parish of Felkirk, in the wapentake of Staincross, in the West Riding of the county of York, 4½ miles N.W. of the Cudworth station of the North Midland railway. G. Wentworth, Esq., is lord of the manor. Here is a large reservoir which supplies the Barnsley canal. It is united with Havercroft."


"GRIMETHORPE, a hamlet in the township of Brierley, parish of Felkirk, West Riding county York, 5 miles N.E. of Barnsley."


"HAVERCROFT, a township in the parish of Felkirk, wapentake of Staincross, West Riding county York, 5 miles S.E. of Wakefield. The village is situated on an eminence, near the Barnsley canal and the North Midland railway. It is a meet for the Badsworth hounds. Freestone is quarried."


"SHAFTON, a township in the parish of Felkirk, wapentake of Staincross, West Riding county York, 6 miles W. of Wake field, its post town, 5 N.E. of Barnsley, and 2 from Cudworth railway station. The village is situated on rising ground near the North Midland railway and Barnsley canal. The township comprises about 800 acres of fertile land, part of which is in market gardens yielding a large amount of fruit. The substratum contains coal of good quality at the depth of 100 yards, and a mine has been some years in operation. The Wesleyans have a place of worship. S. Foljambe, Esq., is lord of the manor. Ferry Moor is a tract of common land about 50 acres in extent."


"SOUTH HIENDLEY, a township in the parish of Felkirk, wapentake of Staincross, West Riding county York, 7 miles S.E. of Wakefield, and 6 N.E. of Barnsley. The village, which is small, is situated on rising ground. The township contains the hamlet of Upper Hiendley. The land is chiefly arable, and the soil various. G. S. Foljambe, Esq., is lord of the manor and chief landowner. Hodroyd Hall, the ancient seat of the viscounts Galway, is now a farmhouse."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013