"FERRY FRYSTON, a parish in the upper division of the wapentake of Osgoldcross, West Riding county York, 2 miles N.W. of Pontefract, its post town. The Knottingley, station on the Great Northern line of railway, is about 1 mile to the S. of the village. The parish, which is situated in a fertile vale, includes the hamlets of Ferrybridge, Water Frystone, and Wheldale. The river Aire flows through the parish, and is crossed by a bridge having three large arches through which the current passes, and several small dry arches on either side. The York and North Midland railway enters the parish by a fine viaduct, and traverses the northern part of it. Magnesian limestone is extensively quarried, and fine casting sand is obtained for the use of foundries. Earthenware and glass bottles are extensively manufactured. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York, value £240, in the patronage of the sub-chanter and vicars-choral of York Cathedral. The church is a structure of the early part of the 11th century, with square tower, dedicated to St. Andrew. The Wesleyans have a chapel. There is a day school belonging to the church, and a large private educational establishment. In the neighbourhood are remains of an ancient stone cross; and in 1822 a stone coffin, containing the bones of Thomas Duke of Lancaster, beheaded at Pomfret, was disinterred. Frystone Hall is the seat of Lord Houghton."
"FERRYBRIDGE, a hamlet and village in the parish of Ferry-Fryston, upper division of the wapentake of Osgoldcross, West Riding county York, 2 miles N.E. of Pontefract."