Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for FEWSTON: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

FEWSTON: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

"FEWSTON, a parish in the lower division of the wapentake of Claro, West Riding county York, 6 miles N. of Otley, its post town, and 12 S.W. of Knaresborough. It is situated in Knaresboro' Forest, on the river Washburn, and includes the townships of Blubber Houses, Clifton with-Norwood, Thurcross, Great Timble, and West End, with a number of hamlets in the several townships The parish is of large extent, being 15 miles in length by 6 in average breadth, but nearly half the surface is unproductive. The village is pleasantly situated in the vale of the Washburn rivulet. Silk and flax mills afford employment to many of the inhabitants. The living is a vicarage' in the diocese of Ripon, value with the curacy of Thurcross annexed, £150, in the patronage of the lord chancellor. The church is a stone structure with square tower, dedicated to St. Lawrence. There is also a district church at West End, the living of which is a perpetual curacy The parish register commences in 1613. The parochial charities produce about £35 per annum. The Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists have several chapels, and there are National and church schools for boys and girls. The Duke of Devonshire is lord of the manor."


"BLUBBERHOUSES, a township in the parish of Fewston, and wapentake of Clare, in the West Riding of the county of York, 8 miles to the S.W. of Ripley. It has an area of about 3,600 acres."


"BRAMLEY HEAD, a hamlet in the township of Thurcross, and parish of Fewston, in the wapentake of Clare, West Riding of the county of York, 8 miles to the W. of Ripley."


"CLIFTON, a township in the parish of Fewston, in the lower division of the wapentake of Clare, in the West Riding of the county of York, 4 miles N. of Otley, its post town. The Duke of Devonshire is lord of the manor."


"GILLBECK, a hamlet in the township of Great Timble, parish of Fewston, West Riding county York, 6 miles N.W. of Otley."


"GREAT TIMBLE, a township in the parish of Fewston, lower division of Claro wapentake, West Riding county York, 5½ miles N.W. of Otley. The village is on the river Washburn. The township includes the hamlets of Gillbeck and White Cragg. The soil is clayey, with a subsoil of clay and rock. The Wesleyans have a chapel. The Duke of Devonshire is lord of the manor."


"LITTLE TIMBLE, a township in the parish of Fewston, West Riding county York, near Great Timble."


"LOW MILL, a hamlet in the township of Thruscross and parish of Fewston, West Riding county York, 5 miles N. of Otley."


"NORWOOD WITH CLIFTON, a township in the parish of Fewston, lower division of Claro wapentake, West Riding county York, 5 miles N.E. of Otley. The village, of irregular form, is situated under Jackhill, and is wholly agricultural. The Duke of Devonshire is lord of the manor."


"THRUSCROSS, a township in the parish of Fewston, lower division of Claro wapentake, West Riding county York, 10 miles N.W. of Otley, its post town, and 5 S. of Pateley Bridge. A considerable portion of the land is moorland, and the remainder chiefly meadow and pasture. The township includes the hamlets of Bramley Head, West End, and Low Mill. In the vicinity are extensive flax-mills. The soil is gravelly, with a subsoil of rock. The living is a curacy annexed to the vicarage of Fewston, in the diocese of Ripon. The church was enlarged in 1841. There is also a district church at West End, the living of which is a perpetual curacy The Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists have chapels There are National and Sunday schools. The Duke of Devonshire is lord of-the manor."


"WEST END, a hamlet in the township of Thruscross, parish of Fewston, West Riding county York, 5 miles N.E. of Otley."


"WHITE CRAGG, a hamlet in the parish of Fewston, West Riding county York, 6 miles N. of Otley, on the river Washburn."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013