Area, 1,640 acres. Strafforth and Tickhill wapentake, N.D. -Population, 321 *1; Chapel-room, 100 *2; Net value, £73. -An augmented Curacy, but called a Vicarage in Archbishop Sharp's MS.
Patron and impropriator, St. Andrew Warde, Esq.
Valued in 1707 at £17. 3s. 10d.; in the King's books at £2. 13s. 6d.; and in the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xviii. p. 487, at £20 per annum, where it is there stated that " Clayton Chapel is a mile from Frickley. As most of the inhabitants of the parish live at Clayton, and but an inconsiderable number at Frickley, we think fit that Clayton be made a parish Church, and Frickley be annexed to it;" valued in 1818, at £120 per annum.
Clayton Chapel is now desecrated. Mr. Hunter gives a view of it.
Of Frickley the Commissioners report, "We find belonging to the parish Church of Frickley, a Vicarage presentable with cure of souls. Mrs. Anne, a papist and delinquent, is patron. The glebe, privy tithes, and other profits, we find to be worth about £20 per annum." The tithes of the Rectory are impropriate.
15th June 1714, a faculty was granted to take off the lead from the roof, and re-cover the same with slate, in order, as set forth in such faculty, that the inhabitants might not be oppressed with such an exceeding assessment as would otherwise have been requisite for the necessary repairs of the roof.
The Chapel, says Mr. Hunter, was no doubt a domestic Chapel, erected for the use of the Annes, or their predecessors, and their dependants.
Augmented in 1810 with £200 from the Parliamentary grant, by lot.
An Inclosure Act was passed 54th Geo. III.
For the arms, monuments, and inscriptions, see Hunter's South Yorkshire.
The glebe house was returned in 1818 as unfit for residence, being too small and totally unfit in every respect; and in 1834, a return was made that there was no glebe house.
The Register Books commence in 1577.
Martin Wharam's dole. 10s. per annum rent-charge, for the poor.
Poor's estate. Cottage and garden. The rent is distributed with the Communion money.
Cartwright's, alias Vicars's charity, vide General Charities. The sum of 13s. 4d. a year is payable to a poor person of Clayton and one of Thurnscoe, alternately. -Vide 18th Report, page 607.
Post town: Doncaster.
Torre's MS., page 1,008. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. i. page 229. Hunter's South Yorkshire, vol. ii. page 147.
*1 The Population in 1834 was returned at 323.
*2 In 1818, returned at 190.