Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: GARGRAVE.     Church dedication: SAINT ANDREW.     Church type: Vicarage in charge.

Area, 10,420 acres. Staincliffe wapentake, E. D. -Population, 1,748 *1; Church-room, 1,520 *2; Net value, £750. -This Church was appropriated to the Priory of Sallay by Henry de Percy, Knight, previous to which there had been a kind of Vicar under the Rector. A Vicarage was ordained in 1321. See the particulars of the endowment in Torre's MS.

Patron, the Rev. J. M. Wright.

Impropriators, Trinity College, Cambridge.

In Pope Nicholas's first taxation, the Church is valued at £33. 6s. 8d.; and in his second, at £20. The value of the Vicarage per annum in the King's books is £12. 13s.; and in the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xviii. page 204, the Vicarage is valued at £60 per annum.

" The Vicar is entitled to the agistment tithes of barren and unprofitable cattle in the township of Gargrave, in kind. -Croft v. Mason." 4 Wood, page 293.

There was a decree in the Exchequer, in Trinity Term, 33rd Elizabeth, relative to tithes in this parish, but which is unreported.

Here was a Chantry.

22nd October 1739, confirmation of all the scats in the Church.

Dr. Whitaker gives a catalogue of the Vicars.

The glebe house is fit for residence.

The Register books commence in 1675.

Charities:
Free School, founded, by Henry Coulthurst, by deeds dated 2nd and 3rd June 1686, for the benefit of the inhabitants of the parish. The income consists of a rent-charge of £15 and the interest of £150 due on bond. The school was suspended at the time the Commissioners sat on the inquiry.

Poor's Land. 19a. 2r. and two houses. Rent distributed to the poor not receiving parochial relief.

Flasby with Winterburn dole. 10s. per annum to the poor.

Thomas Blakey's dole. 10s. per annum to the poor.

Hospital Land. Site less than a rood. Mr. Coulthurst's charity. £2. 2s. per annum among poor widows of Coniston. Henry Coulthurst's gift. Interest of £60. -Vide 13th Report, page 632.

Post town: Skipton.


References:
Torre's MS., page 469. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. i. page 135. Mon. Angl., vol. v. pages 510, 511. Whitaker's Craven, page 176.


Notes:
*1 Viz. Bank Newton, 125 ; Cold Coniston, 336; Eshton, 82; Flasby with Winterburne, 143; and Gargrave, 1,062.

*2 As returned in 1818. No return made in 1834.


From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.