Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for GARGRAVE: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

GARGRAVE: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.

"GARGRAVE, a parish in the eastern division of the wapentake of STAINCLIFFE-AND-EWCROSS, West riding of the county of YORK, comprising the townships of Bank- Newton, Cold Coniston, Eshton, Flasby with Winterburn, and Gargrave, and containing 1659 inhabitants, of which number, 972 are in the township of Gargrave, 4 miles W.N.W. from Skipton. The living is a vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of York, rated in the king's books at £12. 13. 11. John Marsden, Esq. was patron in 1806. The church, dedicated to St. Andrew, is principally in the later English style. Here is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists. There is a small endowed school. This place is situated close to the Leeds and Liverpool canal, upon which it has extensive warehouses; the principal branch of business is the cotton manufacture. A court for the recovery of debts under 40s. is held every three weeks, of which the Duke of Devonshire is chief bailiff. The river Aire runs through the village. There are a Roman pavement and encampment in the parish."


"BANK NEWTON, a township in the parish of GARGRAVE, eastern division of the wapentake of STAINCLIFFE-and-EWCROSS, West riding of the county of YORK, 6 miles N.W. from Skipton, containing 139 inhabitants."


"CONISTON COLD, a township in the parish of GARGRAVE, eastern division of the wapentake of STAINCLIFFE and EWCROSS, West riding of the county of YORK, 5 miles W.N.W. from Skipton, containing 345 inhabitants. On a lofty mount near the village is an oval encampment, supposed to be Danish. Tradition relates that at a place called Sweet-Gap, on the northwestern side of Coniston moor, the inhabitants endeavoured to arrest the progress of a party of Scottish invaders, and nearly the whole of them were killed."


"ESHTON, a township in the parish of GARGRAVE, eastern division of the wapentake of STAINCLIFFE and EWCROSS, West riding of the county of YORK, 65 miles N.W. from Skipton, containing 69 inhabitants."


"FLASBY, a township, joint with Winterburn, in the parish of GARGRAVE, eastern division of the wapentake of STAINCLIFFE-AND-EWCROSS, West riding of the county of YoRK,4 miles N.N.W. from Skipton, containing 134 inhabitants."


"WINTERBURN, a township, joint with Flashy, in the parish of GARGRAVE, eastern division of the wapentake of STAINCLIFFE-and-EWCROSS, West riding of the county of YORK, 7 miles N.N.W. from Skipton. The population is returned with Flashy. There is a place of worship for Independents."

[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]