Area, 15,200 acres. Staincliffe wapentake, W.D. -Population, 3,107 *2 ; Church-room, 1,000; Net value, £82. -This Church was given to the Cell of Finchall, Durham, by Henry de Puleaco, and appropriated thereto, and a Vicarage ordained in 1230, and confirmed 9th John by charter. The living is now in the alternate presentation of J. N.Coulthurst, Esq. and G. Hartley, Esq.
Impropriators, the Rev. J. Clapham and others.
In Pope Nicholas's first taxation, the Church is valued at £33. 6s. 8d., which in the new taxation is reduced to £14. 13s. 4d.
The Vicarage is valued in the King's books at £21. 3s. 2d., and in the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xviii. page 189, it is stated: " Vicarage £50. The parish church is well situate for the most conveniency of the whole parish."
" The Vicarage is endowed with the corn tithe of two small villages, called Langcliffe and Stainforth-under-Bargh ; with Easter dues, small tithes, and surplice fees. Endowment dated in 1249. The right to the advowson not well known, but supposed to belong to the heirs or assigns of Josias Dockeray, D.D. late Rector of ----- in the county of Northumberland. Above £30 per annum." Signed " Richard Ellershaw, Vic." -Notitia Parochialis, No. 809.
Augmented in 1732 with £200, to meet benefaction of £200 from Mr. Anthony Lister.
A decree in the Exchequer, in Michaelmas Term, 37th Eliz. as to tithes, is unreported.
The Inclosure Acts are 31st Geo. II. (Settle), and 29th Geo. III. (Langcliffe).
2nd February 1738, faculty to build a gallery.
5th March 1742, ditto ditto.
4th March 1785, ditto ditto.
9th February 1810, ditto, and to re-roof the Church.
6th August 1817, additional burial-ground consecrated.
17th December 1819, faculty to re-pew the Church.
12th March 1822, confirmation of allotment of pews.
Dr. Whitaker, in his History of Craven, page 138, gives a catalogue of the Vicars.
Three Chantries are mentioned in the Valor Ecc.
Two houses in the village of Feizer are one year within Clapham, and the next within Giggleswick. The inhabitants have seats in both Churches, and resort to them alternately, and pay corn tithes to the Rectors, and Easter dues to the Vicars of the two Churches alternately also, but pay their assessed taxes to Stainforth.
No glebe house.
The Register Books commence in 1669. There are some prior, but very imperfect.
The Free Grammar School, founded and endowed by King Edward the Sixth, in the seventh year of his reign, out of the possessions of the Collegiate Church of St. Andrew, in Acaster, in the county of York. The Vicar is a trustee ex officio, and the governors, with the advice of the Archbishop, may make ordinances, and such were made in 1592 and 1795. The school is free for instruction in classical learning to all boys, for whose admission application is made, the charter containing no restriction or qualification as to residence or place. There are about sixty-three scholars. The head master's salary is £510 per annum, the usher's, £205, and the English assistant's, £150. The income of the school arises from the rent of 663a. 2r. 14p. of land, with sheepwalks, and a house, and there are exhibitions for Cambridge (Clapham's and Tennant's) amounting to £38. 6s. 5d. per annum. -The statutes were entered in Archbishop Markham's Registry, on the 27th July 1795.
Thomas Foster's charity, by will, dated 25th December 1692. £5 per annum rent-charge, distributed amongst the poor.
Samuel Clarke's gift, about the year 1753. Dividends on £52. 10s. new four per cents., given in clothes, coals, and corn, for two of the poorest persons in each of the townships of Giggleswick and Rathmill, alternately.
Poor's Allotment. 7a. 3r. 33p. Rent distributed amongst the poor.
Shute's charity. Rent of 26a. 1R. 8p., distributed among poor persons not receiving parochial relief.
Thomas Clapham's charity, given in 1797. Dividends on £105 new fours, distributed in like manner.
William Brown's charity, by will, dated 4th January 1762. Interest of £20 between two poor housekeepers not receiving relief from the town.
Matthew Lister's charity. Rent-charge of £1. 6s. per annum for poor widows.
Agnes Hargrave's charity, by deed, dated 12th July 1768. Moiety of rent of two acres of land for teaching three poor children to read.
TOWNSHIP OP SETTLE.
William Knowles's charity. Rentcharge, £1. 10s. per annum for the poor.
Isaac Atkinson's charity, by will, in 1718. Interest of £20 for the poor.
Doles. -Mr. Banks's, 10s. per annum ; James Carr's, 3s. per annum ; Stephen Carr's, £2. 16s. per annum ; Unknown, 11s. per annum : Unknown, 10s. per annum.
School, founded by George Clarke, by will, 24th February 1716, and augmented in 1725 by the will of Stephen Carr, for the free education in reading of all the children of the township of Rathmell. The income arises from the rent of 13a. of land and the interest of £70.
Dole, 5s. per annum.
LOST Charities. £5 left by William Clapham, to be lent at interest to poor housekeepers.
Richard Chamberlain's gift, by will, dated 16th January 1738. Rent-charge of £6 per annum on certain estates in Settle and Langcliffe, or £120 in lieu thereof for the poor. The £6 was for sometime paid. -Vide 13th Report, page 646.
Post town: Settle.
Torre's MS., page 575. Ashmolean MSS., 8518. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. i. page 142. Mon. Angl., vol. i. page 251, and vol. iv. page 333. Gilbert's Liber Scholasticus, page 285. Whitaker's Craven, page 133.
*1 Nephew of King Ina, and Bishop of Sherbourne. Died A.D. 709.
*2 Viz. Giggleswick, 780; Rathmill, 347 ; Settle, 1,627; and Stainforth, 263. In 1834, the Population was returned at 3,583.