Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted

Help and advice for GIGGLESWICK: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1829.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it.

We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

GIGGLESWICK: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1829.

"GIGGLESWICK, is a neat village, in the parish of its name, one mile from Settle, well deserving notice as containing a free grammar school, founded by Edward VI. in which, amongst other eminent men, was educated Archdeacon Paley. The parish church is also in this village, a very ancient building, dedicated to St. Alkald. Near here is a singular ebbing and flowing well, the waters of which have been known to rise and fall nineteen inches in the space of five minutes. The time of its flux and reflux is apparently unconnected with rain or drought, or any other external causes; sometimes it is completely dry, and then, on a sudden, is heard to issue from the recesses of its native rock with a hollow gurgling sound. The water, which is received into a stone cistern, is limpid, cold and wholesome, and has no peculiar taste. Formerly this was a market town, but it has long since ceased to enjoy that distinction. The township of Giggleswick contained, in 1821, 746 inhabitants."


"SETTLE, a small well-built market-town, in the parish of Giggleswick, and in the wapentake and liberty of Staincliffe, west riding, is 225 miles from London, 59 from York, 50 from Manchester, and 16 from Skipton. The situation of Settle is singular and picturesque, but a great detraction from its pleasantness arises from the high and gloomy stone fences placed round the fields, instead of refreshing verdant hedges. The cotton manufacture prevails here, and the establishments belonging to Messrs. Clayton & Co. at Langcliffe, and Messrs. Proctors' and Mr. Brinnand's, in this town, employ many of the labouring class; the other chief trades are, paper making, by Messrs. Wood & Croudace; and roperies, the principal being in the hands of Mr. Leace. The Duke of Devonshire is lord of the manor, and holds courts baron twice a year, at one of which a constable is appointed. Settle contains two Methodist chapels, a national school, and a public news' room and library. The market day is on Tuesday; and there are fairs for fat cattle on every alternate Monday. According to the census of 1821 the town of Settle contained 1,508 inhabitants."
Note: The directory entry for Settle in Pigot's 1829 Directory is included with Giggleswick, (in this parish).

[Transcribed from Pigot's National Commericial Directory for 1828-29 ]
by Colin Hinson ©2007


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2016