The academy, which was under the presidency of the Rev. R. Frankland, at Rathmell, during many years, must have greatly blessed the neighbourhood of Settle, though we have no memorials of its indirect operation. After its removal, however, no evangelical efforts were made in this neighbourhood, except by the Wesleyans, till the West Riding Itineracy resolved in 1811 to visit the whole district. The congregation at Settle at first met in a private house; a cottage was afterwards rented, and the upper room used as a gallery, by means of an opening in the floor. A chapel soon became requisite, and the Rev. Joseph Cockin, with his son, Rev. John Cockin, rendered essential service in its erection. Their cheerful, long-continued, and laborious exertions laid all the friends of religion, and the neighbourhood at large, under great and lasting obligations. The chapel was opened A.D. 1816, the pulpit being first occupied by students from Idle. A Mr. Brixton preached for nearly a year, with small success.
Jan. I, 1824. Rev. SAMUEL ELLIS became the first pastor. The congregation was now in a flourishing state, and continued so during his ministry. He removed to Bolton in September, 1827.
His successor was Rev. JAMES WRIGHT, of Idle Academy, under whose ministry things greatly declined.
- Rev. JOHN WILLIAMS, from Grassington. Here in 1835. The congregation was now scattered, and brought to the verge of ruin. Mr. Williams left the place in February, 1838.
- A dissolution of the church was deemed desirable, and this the Rev. Professor Scott assisted in effecting. A fortnight afterwards the church was re-formed, the Rev. R. Gibbs, of Skipton, presiding. Four years were spent without a pastor.
- April 3, 1842. Rev. GEORGE SWANN, from Attercliffe.
- Aug. 17, 1845. Rev. JOHN GREENER, of Airedale College. He removed in 1847.
- 1850. Rev. -- JACKSON. His resignation, which was requested by the church, took place in 1852.
- June 24, 1855. Rev. SAMUEL COMPSTON, of the Bradford Town Mission. After an honourable ministry he resigned, and left Settle June 30, 1867.
- The-pulpit is now vacant.
* Aided by Rev. S. Compston.