Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades"
for GISBURN in Pigot's Directory of 1829.
- Edward Watson, Post Master.
- A foot post is despatched to Skipton every day at twelve, and arrives
therefrom every morning at nine.
Nobility, Gentry and Clergy,
- Hodgson William, gent. (atty.) Gisburn
- Jones Rev. Richard, Gisburn
- Ribblesdale Lord, Gisburn park
- Tunstall William, gent. (surgeon.) Gisburn
Inns & Public Houses,
- New Inn, Joseph Nightingale
- Old George (and excise office and posting house) John Cock
- Wheat Sheaf, Edward Watson
Shopkeepers & Traders,
- Atkinson Thomas, tailor
- Cooper John, shuttle maker
- Dobson William, shoe maker
- Dugdale Thomas, shoe maker
- Hartley Thomas, clerk
- Leach Henry, school master
- Lumb Richard, shoe maker
- Parker Thomas, shopkeeper
- Parkinson Peter, butcher
- Riley John, tailor
- Riley Matthew, tailor
- Taylor John, clogger
- Thornber John, tailor
- Townson John, shoe maker
- Tunstall William, spirit dealer
- Varley William, shopkeeper
- Watson James, plumber, painter, and glazier
- Watson James, shopkeeper
- Watson John, butcher
- Wilkinson Thomas, blacksmith
- Wilson & Brothers, blacksmiths
- To Manchester, the Defiance (from Settle) calls at the Old George,-every
Monday afternoon at one, and every Thursday & Saturday mornings at eight goes
through Burley and Bury- Latitat, calls at the New Inn, every Monday
afternoon at one, and every Thursday & Saturday mornings at eight.
- To Settle, the Defiance (from Manchester) calls at the Old George, every
Friday and Sunday afternoons at six, and Wednesday evening at nine-and the
Latitat, calls at the New Inn, at the same time as the above.
- To Manchester, Thomas Laycock, from his house, every Monday;
- To Skipton, Thomas Laycock, from his house, every Tuesday, Thurs. & Sat.
Transcribed by Colin Hinson. ©2003
This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal
use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©CRH 2006
If you find an error (small or large) in the text or a bad link, please drop me a line via
my error reporting form.
[Last updated at 18.56 on Sunday, 29 May 2011, by Colin Hinson. ©2011]