Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for GISBURN: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

GISBURN: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

"GISBURN, a parish in the W. division of the wapentake of Staincliff, West Riding county York, 8 miles N.E. of Clitheroe, and 10 S.W. of Skipton, its post town. It is situated on the river Ribble, and includes the townships of Gisburn Forest, Horton, Nappa, Newsholme, Paythorne, Rimmington, and Swindon. The West Yorkshire railway passes in the vicinity. The village, which is considerable, is situated in the picturesque vale of the Ribble. It was formerly a market town, and is one of the polling-places for the West Riding. Lead is obtained, and stone for building purposes. Courts leet are held for the manor in May and November, at one of which a constable is appointed for the township of Gisburn. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Ripon, value £321, in the patronage of the lord chancellor. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient stone edifice, and contains several monuments of neighbouring families. The register commences in 1563. The parochial charities produce about £40 per annum, including the endowment of the free school. The Wesleyans and Independents have each a chapel. Lord Ribblesdale is lord of the manor. Children of both sexes are instructed in the above school. In the neighbourhood are traces of a Danish camp, at Castle Haugh. Gisburn Park is the principal residence. A cattle market is held on alternate Mondays, and fairs on Easter Monday and the 18th September, chiefly for cattle."


"CROSS HILLS, a village in the parish of Gisburn, in the West Riding of the county of York, 3 miles S. of Skipton."


"GISBURN FOREST, a township in the parish of Gisburn, W. division of the wapentake of Staincliff, West Riding county York, 7 miles N.E. of Clitheroe. It includes the hamlets of Haughton-Chapel and Owlshaw."


"HORTON, (or Little Horton), a township in the parish of Gisburn, W. division of the wapentake of Staincliff, West Riding county York, 8 miles S.W. of Skipton. It is situated near the river Ribble. Little Horton House is the principal residence."


"HOUGHTON CHAPEL, a hamlet in the township of Gisburn-Forest and parish of Gisburn, wapentake of Staincliff, West Riding county York, 7 miles N.E. of Clitheroe. It is situated near the river Ribble."


"HOWGILL, a hamlet in the township of Rimmington and parish of Gisburn, West Riding county York, 6 miles N.E. of Clitheroe. It is situated on a branch of the river Ribble."


"MIDDOP, a township in the parish of Gisburn, W. division of the wapentake of Staincliffe, West Riding county York, 5 miles N.W. of Colne, and 10 miles S.W. of Skipton. The township is small and wholly agricultural. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of York, value £70. The church is a modern edifice."


"NAPPA, a township in the parish of Gisburn, W. division of the wapentake of Staincliff, West Riding county York, 7 miles S.E. of Settle. The township, which is of small extent, is situated on the river Ribble. The land is chiefly in meadow and pasture."


"NEWSHOLME, (or Newsome), a township in the parish of Gisburn, W. division of Staincliff wapentake, West Riding county York, 8 miles S. by E. of Settle. It is situated on the river Ribble."


"OWLSHAW, a hamlet in the township of Gisburn-Forest, parish of Gisburn, West Riding county York, 9 miles S. of Settle, and 6 N.E. of Clitheroe. It is situated near the river Ribble, under Castle Haugh camp."


"PAYTHORNE, a township in the parish of Gisburn, W. division of the wapentake of Staincliff, West Riding county York, 2 miles N.W. of the parish church at Gisburn, and 8 S. of Settle. It is situated on the river Ribble, and is chiefly the property of Lord Ribblesdale."


"RIMMINGTON, a township in the parish of Gisburn, W. division of Staincliff wapentake, West Riding county York, 5 miles N.E. of Clitheroe, and 13 N.W. of Settle. The village, which is small, is situated on a branch of the river Ribble, and is wholly agricultural. The township includes Martin Top, Todber, and Howgill. The subsoil abounds in minerals, including lead, silver, and calamine, all of which were formerly wrought with success. G. L. Fox, Esq., is lord of the manor."


"SWINDEN, a township in the parish of Gisburn, W. division of Staincliff wapentake, West Riding county York, 11 miles W. of Skipton, and 7 S.E. of Settle. The Duke of Devonshire is lord of the manor and principal landowner."


"TODBER, a hamlet in the township of Rimington and parish of Gisburn, West Riding county York, 5 miles N.E. of Clitheroe."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013