Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for In 1822, the following places were in the Parish of Gisburn:

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

In 1822, the following places were in the Parish of Gisburn:


"COWGILL, a farm-house in the township and parish of Gisburn; 3 miles SW. of Gisburn."


"CRACOE HILL, a farm-house in the township of Gisburn Forest, and parish of Gisburn; 5 miles S. of Settle, 16 from Skipton."


"ELLENTHORPE, a farm-house in the township of Paythorn, and parish of Gisburn; 1½ mile from Gisburn."


"FOREST BECKS, a hamlet in the township of Bolton, and parish of Gisburn, liberty of Staincliffe; 6 miles NW. of Gisburn and 6 miles from Clitheroe."


"GAZEGILL, a hamlet in the township of Rimington, and parish of Gisburn, liberty of Staincliffe; 3 miles S. of Gisburn."


"GISBURN COTES, a hamlet in the township and parish of Gisburn, liberty of Staincliffe; 3 miles SW. of Gisburn."


"GISBURN FOREST, a township, in the parish of Gisburn, west division and liberty of Staincliffe; 8 miles from Settle, 15 from Colne, (Lanc.) 17 from Skipton. Pop. 457. Here is a Chapel, which is a perpetual curacy, dedicated to St. Bartholomew, value, p.r. £49. 9s. 9d. Patron, the Vicar of Gisburn. This is named by Bacon, Tosside Chapel; and by others, Houghton Chapel.

The Manor of Gisburn Forest properly belongs to the lord of the Percy Fee; but the Abbot and convent of Sallay had the wood and herbage. It was, however, lately claimed by Thomas Browne, Esq. of Burton upon Trent, as owner of the principal estate in Gisburn Forest. --Whitaker's Craven. This manor is now enjoyed by Mr. Browne. The chapel is situated at the northern extremity of the township, and appears a question with Dr. Whitaker, whether it is within the Forest or not. Within the manor of Gisburn, is a small, but very entire square Fort, called Castle Haugh, and near it is a barrow, which being opened, was found to contain a rude earthen Urn."


"GOOSENER HEIGHT, 2 or 3 farm-houses in the township of Swinden, and parish of Gisburn; 7 miles S. of Skipton, 10 from Settle."


"GRUNSAGILL, (the seat of William Brown, Esq.) in the township of Gisburn Forest, and parish of Gisburn; 9 miles from Settle, 15 from Skipton."


"HORTON, in the parish of Gisburn, west-division and liberty of Staincliffe; 8 miles N. of Colne, (Lanc.) 9 from Skipton, 10 from Settle. Pop. 187."


"HOUGHTON CHAPEL, in the parish of Gisburn, wapentake of Staincross; 7½ miles SW. of Settle."


"HOWGILL, a hamlet in the township of Rimington, and parish of Gisburn, liberty of Staincliffe; 3 miles from Gisburn."


"LITTLE MIDDOP, a farm-house in the township of Midhope, and parish of Gisburn, liberty of Staincliffe; 2 miles from Gisburn, 8½ from Colne, (Lanc.)"


"MARTIN TOP, a farm-house in the township of Rimington, and parish of Gisburn; 3 miles S. of Gisburn."


"MIDDOP, a township, in the parish of Gisburn, west-division and liberty of Staincliffe; 5 miles from Gisburn, 9 from Colne, (Lanc.) 11 from Burnley, (Lanc.) 12 from Skipton. Pop. 100."


"NAPPA, in the parish of Gisburn, west-division and liberty of Staincliffe; 3½ miles from Gisburn, 8 S. of Settle, 11 from Skipton. Pop. 44."


"NAPPA FLATTS, a farm-house in the township of Paythorne, and parish of Gisburn, liberty of Staincliffe; 3½ miles from Gisburn."


"NEWBY, a hamlet in the township of Rimington, and parish of Gisburn, liberty of Staincliffe; 2 miles S. of Gisburn."


"NEWSHOLME, in the parish of Gisburn, west-division and liberty of Staincliffe; 2 miles NE. of Gisburn, 9 from Settle, 10 from Skipton. Pop. 75."


"OWLSHAW, a single house in the township of Gisburn Forest and parish of Gisburn; 4 miles SW. of Settle, 16 from Skipton."


"PAA, in the parish of Gisburn, wapentake and liberty of Staincliffe; 9 miles S. of Settle."


"PAINLEY, a farm-house in the township of Horton, and parish of Gisburn, liberty of Staincliffe; 1½ miles N. of Gisburn."


"PARADISE, a farm-house in the township of Horton, and parish of Gisburn; 9 miles from Settle, 11 from Skipton."


"PAYTHORNE, in the parish of Gisburn, west-division and liberty of Staincliffe; 9 miles S. of Settle, 11 from Skipton and Colne, (Lanc.) Pop. 242."


"RIMINGTON, in the parish of Gisburn, west-division and liberty of Staincliffe; 3 miles from Gisburn, 5 NE. of Clitheroe, (Lanc.) 10 from Colne, (ditto) 12 from Skipton. Pop. 698.

This Manor has long been remarkable for a rich vein of Lead Ore, which yielded a considerable proportion of Silver; and it is not more than fifty years since a person was convicted and executed at York, for counterfeiting the silver coin, in metal supposed to be procured from the lead of Rimington. William Pudsey, Esq. who held the estate from 1577 to 1629, is reported in the traditions of the neighbourhood, nearly to have forfeited his life for coining shillings from Silver Ore obtained here. They were marked with an escalop, which the country people called Pudsey shillings. --Whitaker's Craven."


"STIRK HOUSE, a farm-house in the township and parish of Gisburn, west division and liberty of Staincliffe; 2 miles SW. of Gisburn."


"SWINDEN, in the parish of Gisburn, west-division and liberty of Staincliffe; 4½ miles from Gisburn, 7 from Settle, 8 miles W. of Skipton, 17 from Colne, (Lanc.) Pop. 37."


"TODBER, a farm-house in the township of Rimington, and parish of Gisburn, liberty of Staincliffe; 2 miles S. of Gisburn."


"TOSSIDE, in the township of Sawley with Tosside, and parish of Gisburn, west-division and liberty of Staincliffe; 7½ miles SW. of Settle, 13 from Clitheroe, (Lanc.) 16 from Skipton. Pop. included in Sawley.

This township consists of a large tract of pasture and moor lands, not having any particular cluster of houses or village, called Tosside."


"WESTBY HALL, a farm-house in the township and parish of Gisburn; 1 mile S. of Gisburn."


"WILCROSS BROW, a farm-house in the township and parish of Gisburn; 1 mile from Gisburn."

[Description(s) edited from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson © 2013]