Area, 3,230 acres. Claro wapentake. -Population, 359 *1; Church-room, "sufficient;" Net value, £291.
This Rectory formerly belonged to the patronage of the family of the Goldboroughs, but is now in the patronage of the Earl of Harewood.
Valued in the King's Books, at £10. 1s. 04d.
Inclosure Act 12th Geo. III.
Glebe house fit.
The Register Books commence in 1707 ; defective in 1772. -But vide transcripts at Richmond.
Poor's Land, six acres.
Poor's Money. £60 -interest distributed.
Eliz. Byerley's gift, by will, 19th April 1763. Dividends on £562. 11s. 9d. three per cents. reduced ; paid to two poor widows.
rent charge of 20s. per annum out of Clayton Garth.
Free School. Endowment ; house and fifteen acres of land : part of the land is very bad. About twelve free scholars taught reading, writing, arithmetic, and the Church Catechism. -Vide 3rd Report, page 454.
The children of the parish are also entitled to the benefit of Knaresborough Free Grammar School, and the Rector is one of the trustees.
Torre's MS., page 1515. Bawdwen's Domesday Book (Godenesburg), pages 67. 188. Hargrove's Knaresborough, page 260.
*1 Viz. Goldsborough, 167; Coneythorpe, 96; Flaxby, 96.