Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: GREAT MITTON.     Church dedication: ST. MICHAEL.     Church type: Discharged Vicarage.

Area, 18,540 acres. Staincliffe wapentake, W. D. -Population, 5,277 *2; Church-room, 800; Net value, £153. -A Vicarage, appropriated to the Abbey of Cockersand. Ecton and Bacon both fall into the error of stating this to have been appropriated to the Abbey of St. Mary's.

Patron, T. Aspinall, Esq.

Impropriator, T. Weld, Esq.

A Vicarage was ordained in 1338 ; but on the 21st of June 1438, a composition between the Rector, Vicar, and inhabitants was made, &c. Reg. John Kempe, page 181. Previous to which, viz., 7th June 1401, there had been a new ordination of the Vicarage. Reg. Ric. de Scrope, fo. 33. Ducarel's MSS. -For the particulars of the two ordinations and compositions, see Torre's MS.

Apud Lond., 9th Kal. Maii, anno W. G., 40, viz., A.D. 1256. -Whereas the Abbot and Convent of Kokersand had presented William de Rotherfield, their Clerk, to the Church of Mitton, whose presentation Sir Ralf de Mitton, Knight, opposed ; but the King sent to the Archbishop of York his letters in these words, the tenor whereof being, viz. :-

That the said Ralf de Mytton had arraigned an Assize of Darien presentment in the King's Court at Westminster against the Abbot of Kokersand, touching the Advowson of the Church of Mitton ; which the said Ralfe, coming into Court, acknowledged the right thereof to belong to the said Abbot and the Church of Kokersand, and so rendered up the same to them in open Court.

Test. R. de Thurkilby, apud Westminster, 22nd Apl., 39 H. III. Which letters the Archbishop having received and inspected, did thereupon institute the said William their Clerk, then presented by the Abbot and Convent of Kokersand to the Church of Mytton.

Valued in Pope Nicholas's taxation, at £53. 6s. 8d.; in the new taxation, at £33. 6s. 8d.; in the King's books, at £14. 7s. 8d.; in 1818, at £140; and in the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xviii. page 184, it is stated : " Vicarage, £22 per annum, including twenty marks paid by the impropriator. For want of a painful ministry, most of the inhabitants are professed recusants." The Commissioners recommended that the Chapelries at Chaighley and Bailey be made parochial. -It does not appear that there are now Chapels in those towns.

Augmented in 1823, with £300 from the Parliamentary grant, to meet benefactions of £100 from the Rev. J. Wilson, the Vicar, and £100 from Mrs. Pyncombe's trustees ; and in 1830, with £200, to meet benefaction of £200 from John Aspinall, Esq., the patron.

There was a Chantry in this Church. Dr. Whitaker gives a catalogue of the Vicars.

17th November 1815, faculty to erect a gallery.

An Inclosure Act was passed 52nd Geo. III.

The glebe house is fit for residence.

The Register books commence in 1611.

Charities:
TOWNSHIPS OF MORTON BAILEY AND CHAIGHLEY. -Edward Pickering's charity, by will, dated 16th September 1746. Rent of 7A., distributed in sums of 7s. and under to poor persons not receiving parochial relief.

John Richmond's charity, by will, dated 30th July 1769. Interest of £50 for clothing poor children and old people, expended in the purchase of linen cloth, which is given away every two years.

Chaighley Free School, founded by Helen Haighton, by deed, dated 21st September 1795, and placed under the management of Dissenters who agree in doctrinal points with the Church of England, and use the Church Catechism. Endowment: 16a. 3r. of land. About 20 scholars of both sexes, and about 50 Sunday scholars.

William Parkinson's gift, by will, dated 21st September 1817. Rent of a house at Ribchester, applied towards the support of the Sunday school.

Sir Nicholas Shireburn's Charities. -Almshouses, school, and other Charities, founded by deed, dated 19th and 20th July 1706. The heirs male of Sir Nicholas, and, in default thereof, the owners and possessors of the mansion house at Stonyhurst, were appointed special visitors; and therefore the Commissioners could make no inquiries.

TOWNSHIP OF BASHALL EAVES. Rents-charge of 20s. each per annum to the poor.

TOWNSHIP OF MITTON AND CROOK. Rent-charge, 30s. per annum to the poor.

William Parkinson's gift, by will, dated 21st September 1817. Interest of £270. Two-thirds on St. Thomas's day to the poor of Mitton and Crook, and the remainder for the support of a Sunday school at Mitton. -Vide 15th Report, page 704.

Post town: Clitheroe.


References:
Torre's MS., page 565. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. i. page 139. Whitaker's Craven, page 19. Whitakers Whalley, page 447.


Notes:
*1 The parish of Mitton is partly in the Lower Division of Blackburne hundred (Lancashire).

*2 Viz. Bashall Eaves, 310; West Bradford, 522; Grindleton, 1,103; Mitton, 262; Aighton Bailey and Chaighley ( Lancashire), 1,980; Laund Old Booth, 476; and Waddington, 624. -In 1834, the Population was returned at 2,552, hut which probably excludes the Chapelries.


Other information:
BAILEY. -There was a Chapel at Beyle, in the parish of Mitton, wherein was a Chantry founded to the honour of St. John the Baptist by Henry de Clyderowe. -Vide Torre's MS., page 572.


From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.