Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: WADDINGTON.     Church dedication: ST. HELEN.

Staincliffe wapentake, W.D. -Population, 624, vide Mitton *1; Chapel-room, 700; Net value, £122. -The Chapel was endowed (as by composition between the Vicar of Mitton, Sir J. Tempest, Knight, and others) A.D. 1438, but not improbably founded long before. -History of Craven, page 24.

Patron and impropriator, T. Parker, Esq.

Valued in the King's books at £2. 8s. 8d. In the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xviii. page 185, it is stated to be worth " about twenty marks per annum in glebe, £3. 9s. crown rent, and £1. 6s. 8d. by the impropriator ;" and recommended to be made a distinct parish ;-and in 1818, at £122. 18s. 4d. per annum.

Augmented in 1739, with £200, to meet a benefaction of £200 from John Parker, Esq.; and in 1794, with £200, by lot.

There was an unreported decree in the Exchequer, in Easter Term, 24th Eliz.

A Chantry is mentioned in the Valor Ecc.

21st April 1825, faculty to re-roof and improve the Chapel.

26th July 1834, ditto to erect a gallery.

An Inclosure Act was passed 52nd Geo. III.

The glebe house is fit for residence.

The Register books commence in 1616.

Charities:
The Hospital, for poor widows, founded by Robert Parker, gentleman, by deed, dated 25th September 1701, augmented by his will, dated 17th June 1716, and regulated by Act of Parliament passed in 1825. Twenty-six widows have houses, with plots of garden-ground; each receives £24 per annum, the Chaplain £60 per annum, and three guineas for a sermon on the 13th June in every year. The widows to be appointed from that part of Whitewell, in the parish of Whalley, which is within the county of York, and the townships of Waddington cum Bradford and Grindleton ; and in case of failure of widows within those places, then within Slaidburn and Newton. Endowment : 280a. 2r. 27p. of land.

Rent-charge, 30s. per annum, and also the interest of £20. Both sums are applied in the purchase of blue cloth, which is distributed among children and poor women not receiving parochial relief.

Simon Chapman's gift, by will, dated 27th March 1734. 7s. per annum to the poor, at the discretion of the minister. -Vide 15th Report, page 709.

Post town: Clitheroe.


References:
Torre's MS., page 572. Whitaker's Craven, page 24. Whitaker's Whalley, page 453.


Notes:
*1 In 1834, the Population was returned at 1,400.


From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.