Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for GREAT MITTON: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

GREAT MITTON: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.

"GREAT MITTON, a parish comprising the township of Old Laund-Booth in the higher division, and the township of Aighton with Bailey and Chaigley in the lower division, of the hundred of BLACKBURN, county palatine of LANCASTER; the chapelries of Grindleton and Waddington, and the townships of Bashall-Eaves, West Bradford, and Mitton, in the western division of the wapentake of STAINCLIFFE-and-EWCROSS, West riding of the county of YORK; and containing 4925 inhabitants, of which number, 324 are in the township of Mitton, 3 miles W.S.W. from Clitheroe. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of York, rated in the king's books at £14. 7. 85., and in the patronage of the Rev. John Wilson. The church, dedicated to St. Michael, was erected in the reign of Edward III. The chapel of St. Nicholas, on the north side of the choir, is the burial-place of the Sherburnes, and contains numerous memorials to that knightly family. It stands near the confluence of the rivers Calder, Holder, and Ribble, the neighbourhood of which was the scene of a great slaughter committed by the Scots, in one of their irruptions into England, during the existence of the plague, in 1319. Helen Heighton, in 1795, devised a school-house and certain messuages, the annual income arising from which, viz., £38. 10., is applied to the free instruction of about twenty children. There is also a rent-charge of £4. 10. bequeathed by William Parkinson, towards the support of a Sunday school."


"BASHALL EAVES, a township in that part of the parish of GREAT MITTON, which is in the western division of the wapentake of STAINCLIFFE and EWCROSS, West riding of the county of YORK, 3 miles N.W. from Clitheroe, containing 348 inhabitants. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists."


"GRINDLETON, a chapelry in that part of the parish of GREAT MITTON, which is in the western division of the wapentake of STAINCLIFFE-AND-EWCROSS, West riding of the county of YORK, Smiles N.N.E. from Clitheroe, containing 1125 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry and diocese of York, endowed with £800 royal bounty, and £400 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Vicar of Mitton."


"WADDINGTON, a chapelry in that part of the parish of GREAT MITTON, which is in the western division of the wapentake of STAINCLIFFE and Ewcnoss, West riding of the county of YORK, 1 mile N.N.W. from Clitheroe, containing 687 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry and diocese of York, endowed with £200 private benefaction, and £ 200 royal bounty, and in the patronage of T. L. Parker, Esq. The chapel, dedicated to St. Helen, is principally in the later style of English architecture. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists. The spinning and manufacture of cotton are carried on here. On the river Ribble is an hospital for ten poor widows, founded by Robert Parker, with a chapel attached."


"WEST BRADFORD, a township in that part of the parish of GREAT MITTON, which is in the western division of the wapentake of STAINCLIFFE-and-EWCROSS, West riding of the county of YORK, 2 miles N. from Clitheroe, containing 564 inhabitants. Thomas Tarrand in 1721, bequeathed a rent-charge of £10 for instructing poor children of the township."

[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]