[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]
"GUISELEY, a parish-town, in the upper-division of the wapentake of Skyrack, liberty of Cawood, Wistow, and Otley; 2 miles S. of Otley, 9 from Bradford, 10 from Leeds, 29 from York. Pop. 1,213. The Church is a rectory, dedicated to St. Oswald (see Churches for photograph), in the deanry of the Ainsty, value, £26. Patron, Trinity College, Cambridge.
Trinity College, Cambridge, "has only the third turn of presentation, which is the next." Camb. Caland. 1822."
Information on the following places in this Parish is contained on a supplementary page.
The Old Church site, Horsforth (view 2). This photo. and the one above show the location of the original church in Horsforth, which was demolished in the 19th century, when St Margarets was built. The low wall is supposedly on the line of the original church walls.
The following transcriptions are transcriptions of transcriptions originally done in 1988 by Wath and Mexborough Archives. These documents have many typographical errors and so we cannot vouch for the accuracy in the original transcription. If you find anything of interest here, please be sure to check the original Parish Registers source material. Transcriptions by Jack Parry of:
The Baptism Registers for St. Oswald's Church, Guiseley: