"GUISELEY, is a township and large village, in the parish of its name, in the upper division of the wapentake of Skyrack, West Riding ; 2 miles w. from Otley. The manufacture of woollen cloth is carried on extensively in the parish and township. The church, dedicated to St. Oswald, is a very fine edifice ; the greater part of it is of considerable antiquity, and a beautiful row of columns of the original fabric ornaments the south side of the nave. The living is a rectory, in the alternate patronage of the master and fellows of Trinity College, Cambridge, and George Fox, Esq : the Rev. William Clark is the present incumbent. The parish contained by the returns for 1831, 10,028 inhabitants, and the township 1,604 of that number.
Please see Otley Parish for the 1834 trades directory for this parish."
"HORSFORTH, is a large and populous village and chapelry, in the parish of Guiseley, upper division of the wapentake of Skyrack, West Riding, 5 miles s.e. from Leeds. The manufacture of woollen cloth is carried on here very extensively ; and in the neighbourhood are fulling mills, and others for making paper and grinding corn ; together with some tanneries. From the quarries here excellent stone is obtained, of which considerable quantities are sent to London, Liverpool, and other parts. The neat chapel here was erected in 1775, on the site of one more ancient, by the Stanhope family ; the living is a perpetual curacy, of which the Rev. William Gorder is the incumbent, and the Rev. William H.B. Stocker the present officiating minister. The other places of worship are a chapel each for Wesleyan methodists and baptists. The soil in this part of the country is productive ; much of the land is occupied in grazing, and the views obtained from some parts of the neighbourhood very pleasing. The chapelry contained, by the parliamentary returns for 1821, 2,824 inhabitants, and by that in 1831, 3,425."
"RAWDEN, is a chapelry, in the parish of Guiseley, one mile from Yeaden, and about 4 s. from Otley ; situated on the road leading from the latter town to Bradford. The manufacture of woollen goods is the main support of the place, and the articles produced here are chiefly for exportation. About two miles hence, at the hamlet of Apperley Bridge, the Leeds and Liverpool canal passes. The places of worship are a chapel of ease (rather a handsome building) under Guisley, and one each for baptists, and Wesleyan and primitive methodists ; with another for the latter sect, at Woodhouse Grove, about a mile distant ; where is also a school for the education of sons of ministers of that connexion : it was opened on the 8th January, 1812, and is managed by a committee of preachers and lay gentlemen appointed by the annual conference : the term allowed for education of pupils is six years. The Rev. George Morley was the first and is the present governor. At Rawden is a school, founded and supported by the society of friends, for the education of children of those who profess the principles of that sect, but are not members of the society. The living of Rawden is a perpetual curacy, in the gift of Mrs. Eleanor Susannah Oswald Emmott : the present incumbent is the Rev. Anthony Ibbotson. The chapelry contained, in 1831, 2,057 inhabitants.
Please see Otley Parish for the 1834 trades directory for this village (included with Guiseley)."
"YEADON, is a village and township, in the parish of Guiseley, one mile and a half from that village, and 6 from Leeds. The manufactures are of the same nature as those existing at Guisley. In the township are two chapels for methodists. Population of the township, at the last census, 2,761 inhabitants. Baildon is a chapelry, in the parish of Otley, 4.5 miles s.w. from that town. Within the limits of the chapelry are several manufactories for worsted. The chapel here, under Otley, is dedicated to St. Giles : the living is a perpetual curacy, in the gift of the vicar of Otley. Population, by the last returns, 3,044."
[Transcribed by Steve Garton ©2000 from
Pigot's directory (Yorkshire section) 1834]