GENUKI Home page    Guiseley Parish<br>main page Guiseley
Parish
main page

GUISELEY:
Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.

"GUISELEY, a parish in the upper division of the wapentake of SKYRACK, West riding of the county of YORK, comprising the chapelries of Horsforth and Rawden, and the townships of Carlton, Guisley, and Yeaden, and containing 8409 inhabitants, of which number, 1213 are in the township of Guisley, 3 miles S.W. from Otley. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of York, rated in the king's books at 26, and in the patronage of J. L. Fox, Esq., for two turns, and of the Master and Fellows of Trinity College, Cambridge, for one. The church is dedicated to St. Oswald. Here is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists. In this parish are several bleaching-mills, and the manufacture of woollen cloth for the Leeds market is considerable. A free school was erected by the Rev. Robert Moore, who, in 1622, endowed it with a house and land, and in addition thereto, the Rev. Dr. Hitch, in 1676, bequeathed a portion of his estate for the support of a master, who receives the income, amount- ing to 50 a year, for teaching about thirty children."


"CARLTON, a township in the parish of GUISELEY, tipper division of the wapentake of SKYRACK, West riding of the county of YORK, 2 mues S.E. from Otley, containing 158 inhabitants."


"HORSFORTH, a chapelry in the parish of GUISELEY, upper division of the wapentake of SKYRACK, West riding of the county of YORK, 5 miles W.N.W. from Leeds, containing 2824 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry and diocese of York, endowed with 200 private benefaction, 600 royal bounty, and 1400 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Vicar of Guisley. A chapel was erected on the site of the ancient structure, in 1758, chiefly by the Stanhope family. There are places of worship for Baptists and Wegleyan Methodists. In 1819 a bridge was built over the Aire, at an expense of 1500, by John Pollard, Esq. Special sessions are held here once a fortnight. The manufacture of clothv is carried on to a considerable extent in this chapelry, and there are some bleaching-mills."


"RAWDON, (or RAWDEN) a chapelry in the parish of GUISELEY, upper division of the wapentake of SKYRACK, West riding of the county of YORK, 7 miles N.N.E. from Bradford, containing 1759 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry and diocese of York, endowed with 400 private benefaction, 400 royal bounty, and 600 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Lord of the Manor. The chapel, erected in 1721, has lately received an addition of three hundred and fifty sittings, of which one hundred and seventy-five are free, the Incorporated Society for the enlargement of churches and chapels having granted 500 towards defraying the expense. There are places of worship for Baptists and Wesleyan Methodists; the latter have a seminary at Woodhouse Grove. The manufacture of woollen goods is carried on to a considerable extent. A school-house was built, in 1746, by Thomas Layton, Esq., at which period 200, raised by subscription for its support, was invested in land, now producing an annual income of 10, which is paid to a master for teaching sixteen children. Rawdon gives the inferior title of baron to the Marquis of Hastings."


"YEADEN, a township in the parish of GUISELEY, upper division of the wapentake of SKYRACK, West riding of the county of YORK, 7 miles N.N.E. from Bradford, containing 2455 inhabitants, many of whom are employed in the manufacture of woollen cloth and worsted goods, and in a scribbling-mill and extensive bleaching grounds in the neighbourhood. There is a

[Transcribed by Mel Lockie from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014