Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: COLEY IN HIPPERHOLME CUM BRIGHOUSE.     Church dedication: CHAPEL.

Morley wapentake. -Population, 13,656, vide Halifax; Church-room, 800; Net value, £125. -Patron, the Vicar of Halifax.

This Chapel was built in 1529, the same year with Lightcliffe.

In the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xviii. page 279, it is stated : " No Minister. £5. 10s. maintenance. Two miles from Halifax, the way bad and mountainous. To be made a parish, and have Lightcliffe annexed."

" The yearly value is £10. 19s., and hath been so these many years." Signed, " Nathan Sharpe, Cur." -Notitia Parochialis, No. 397.

In 1707, valued at £13. 12s. 2d. per annum.

Augmented, in 1750, with £200, to meet benefaction of £200 from the Rev. Henry Whitworth ; in 1816, with £800, and in 1817, with £600, both by lot, from the Parliamentary grant.

Mr. Crabtree gives the present endowment of the Chapel.

A faculty was granted 13th July 1752, to enlarge the Chapel, and another on the 12th February 1816, to take down and rebuild the Chapel.

The present fabric is a neat structure, with a cemetery attached.

No glebe house.

The Registers are included in Halifax previous to 1813.

Charities:
Free School, founded under the will of Joseph Crowther, about 1711, for twelve poor children of North Owram. Income : rent of house, barn, &c., and 10½a. of land.

J. Hall's charity, by will, dated in 1687. Five poor children taught to read and write, and twenty-five others to read only ; and to four poor people, £10 each annually. Income: rent of 49a. 2r. 28p. of land. -Vide 18th Report, page 581.

Post town: Halifax.


References:
Dodsworth's MS., page 117. Whitaker's Loidis et Elmete, page 391. Watson's Halifax, pages 233. 438. 653. Crabtree's Halifax, page 384. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. i, page 187.


From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.