Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted

Help and advice for ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it.

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: ELLAND CUM STAINLAND AND FIXBY.     Church dedication: SAINT MARY.

Morley wapentake. - Population, 8,885, vide Halifax *1; Chapel-room, 650; Net value, £147.

Patron, the Vicar of Halifax.

This is the oldest Chapel in the parish, and is supposed to have been built in the fourteenth century, and is one of the three ancient divisions of the parish of Halifax, which comprised the townships of Elland, Greetland, Rishworth cum Norland, Barkisland, Stainland, Old Lindley, Raistrick, Brigghouse, Soyland, and Fixby, and enjoys all parochial rights, paying a pension of £4 per annum to the Vicar of Halifax, who has the right of nomination to the Cure.

The monuments are described by Mr. Watson, who gives a catalogue of the Curates.

A Chantry was founded in this Chapel by Sir John Saville, Knight.

Elland Hall was the seat of the Elland family, and was the scene of a very tragical event, which is fully narrated by all the local historians.

Valued, in 1707, at £26. 10s. In the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xviii. page 272, it is stated : " Parochial rights. Only £6. 10s. for maintenance, left by the wills of several men. Raistrick to be annexed to Elland."

The Curacy was augmented, in 1724, with £200, to meet a benefaction of £200 from Mr. J. Lancaster and others; in 1824, with £400 from the Parliamentary grant, by lot ; and in 1826, with £300 and £300, to meet benefactions of £200 and £200 from the inhabitants of the Chapelry.

An inclosure took place 43rd Geo.III. 22nd October 1802, faculty to new pew the Chapel.

6th December 1805, ditto to erect gallery and organ.

6th July 1807, ditto to erect galleries.

The glebe house is fit for residence.

The Register Books commence in 1559. Chasm, 1590 to 1639. Entries for Ripponden, Raistrick, Sowerby-Bridge, and Norland, are also contained therein. Marriages take place at Elland.

Charities:
Thornhill's dole. £8. 8s. 8d. per annum, viz.: Elland poor, in money, £2. 6s.; Fixby poor, in cloth, £1. 13s.. 4d., and in money, 18s. 6d. Residue to Raistrick poor.

Mrs. Thornhill's dole. Rent-charge of £1. 15s. to the poor.

Mrs. Preston's dole. £7 per annum, distributed to the poor, viz.: £4. 13s. 4d. to the Elland poor, and £2. 6s. 8d. to the poor of Stainland.

Thomas Chamberlaine's gift, in 1721. Rent-charge of 20s., distributed among four poor widows.

Joseph Brooksbanks' (senior and junior) Charities, by deeds, 4th October 1712, and 5th June 1756, and the said Joseph Brooksbank the elder, by his will, dated in 1715. Rent of 30 acres of land and six houses, let, at the time of the Report, for £97. 3s. per annum. £14 to be paid to a dissenting minister ; 30s. in Bibles and Assembly's Catechisms ; 40s. for books of piety and devotion ; residue to a schoolmaster for teaching forty poor children to read.

Frances Thornhill's charity, by will, dated 31st July 1718. Interest of £750. Ten poor girls taught to read, knit, and sew, and who are clothed once a year. The mistress is paid £22 a year. Residue to the minister, for reading morning prayers on Litany days.

Grace Ramsden's charity, by will, dated 13th December 1734. House, and about forty acres of land. Forty boys to be taught reading, writing, arithmetic, and the Church Catechism ; and each boy, on leaving the school, to be presented with a Bible, Common Prayer-book, and the Whole Duty of Man. -Vide 21st Report, page 601.

Post town: Halifax.


References:
Torre's MS., page 820. History of Halifax, page 250. Watson's Halifax, pages 164. 395. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. i. page 190. Whitaker's Loidis et Elmete, page 394. Bodleian MS., Nos. 5,078. 5,101.


Notes:
*1 In 1818 it was 6,040.


From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.