Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted

Help and advice for ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it.

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: LUDDENDEN IN MIDGLEY AND WARLEY UPPER END.     Church dedication: CHAPEL.

Morley wapentake. -Population, 4,500, vide Halifax ; Chapel-room, 850; Net value, £132.

Patron, the Vicar of Halifax.

In 1496, license was granted to the inhabitants of Midgley, Sawley, and Warley, to cause divine service to be celebrated in this Chapel. Mr. Waterhouse left an augmentation of £3. 10s., and one Dean left 13s. 4d. per annum.

The only certain maintenance, at the time of the Parliamentary Survey, was an annual payment of one mark. Recommended to be made a parish Church. -Vol. xviii. page 278.

" Endowed only with £4 per annum. Built since the Reformation, without Priest or Curate ; and the reason is why we are without, is decay of woollen manufacture. Dissenters taking advantage, building Chapels very nigh us. The place convenient and in good repair, yet no Clergyman is willing to serve us for so small wages. We have been without a minister six months, and never like to have any without the. Queen's Bounty. -Signed by the two Chapelwardens and six inhabitants." -Notitia Parochialis, No. 908.

Augmented, in 1732, with £200; in 1772, with £200; in 1787, with £200; and in 1810, with £200 from the Parliamentary grant-all by lot; in 1811, with £300 from the Parliamentary grant, to meet benefaction of £200 from the Chapelwardens ; in 1813, with £300 from the same grant, to meet benefaction of £200 from the inhabitants ; and, in 1815, with £1,000 from the same grant, by lot.

27th January 1816, faculty to take down and rebuild the Chapel.

Torre gives a list of the Curates.

No glebe house.

The Register Books commence in 1653, but very imperfect until 1738.

Charities:
Rev. Edward Watkinson's charity, by deed, dated 2nd June 1732. Rent of a house and several cottages, distributed in bread and money to poor widows. Part of the property is upon a building lease, which will expire 1st May 1847.

Mary Wadsworth's charity, vide Sow. erby. -Vide 18th Report, page 589.

Post town: Halifax.


References:
Torre's MS. page 831. Whitaker's Loidis et Elmete, page 391. Watson's Halifax, pages 287. 439. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. i. page 188. History of Halifax, page 286.


From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.