Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: RASTRICK.     Church dedication: CHAPEL.

Elland division. Morley wapentake. -Population, 3,021, vide Halifax; Chapel-room, 630; Net value, £135.

Patron, the Vicar of Halifax.

Impropriator, the Crown.

By an inquest taken in 1284, it appears that the village of Rastrick was rated at 13s. and contained only six freemen; the rest were according to that inquest, " Nativi tenentes, villains or bondsmen," such as were at the arbitrary pleasure of the lord, both in their persons, children, and goods.

At the time of the Parliamentary Survey, there was neither minister nor maintenance. Recommended to be annexed to Elland. -Vol. xviii. page 272.

Augmented in 1720 with £200, to meet benefaction of £200 from Sir J. Armitage, Bart. and John Bedford, Esq. In 1760 with £200, £200, and £200, to meet benefactions of £200 from George Braithwaite, £200 from George Thornhill, Esq., £100 from James Collinson, gent., and £100 from Dr. Stratford's executors; and in 1822 with £200 from the Parliamentary grant, by lot.

The glebe house is fit for residence.

A brief was granted in 1756 for this Church.

15th April 1798, new Chapel and burial-ground consecrated.

The Register Books commence in 1719. Vide also Elland.

Charities:
Mary Wadsworth's charity, vide Sowerby.

Mary Law's charity, by will, dated 4th February 1701, for maintaining four poor widows, and teaching 20 poor children. Income, rent of 16a. 1r. 9p. of land, and four houses.

Thornhill's dole, vide Rastrick.

13s. 4d. to the poor in cloth, and £1. 17s. 6d. in money.

A further sum of £1. 15s. is also paid to the poor, being a rent-charge on certain cottages . -Vide 18th Report, p. 590.

Post town: Halifax.


References:
Abp. Sharp's MS. vol. i. page 190. Whitaker's Loidis et Elmete, page 401. Watson's Halifax. pages 261. 421. History of Halifax, page 276.


From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.