In 1836, fifty-two members who had seceded from the church at Square Chapel were formed into a separate church, Aug. 15, by Rev. R. W. Hamilton, LL.D.,
D.D., &c. They at first worshipped in the court-house, but resolved immediately on the erection of a chapel in Harrison Road, which was opened July 19,1837, the officiating ministers being Rev. J. Pridie, Rev. R. W. Hamilton, LL.D., &c., Rev. John Harris (Epsom), Rev. John Cockin (Holmfirth). The pastors have been-
- Aug. 22, 1838. Rev. J. M. OBERY, M.A. (of Glasgow University). He retained his charge during eleven years, and removed Nov. 21, 1849.
- 1850. Rev. PETER RUSSELL WILLANS (Lancs. Coll.). Continued ill-health compelled him to resign his charge in May, 1855.
- 1856. Rev. J. C. MCMICHAEL, from Staleybridge.
- 1858. Rev. JAMES COMPER GRAY (Rotherham Coll.), who is the present minister (in 1868).
* By aid of Rev. J. C. Gray.