GENUKI Home page    Halifax Parish Halifax
Parish

In 1822, the following places were in


the Parish of Halifax:


"ALCOMDEN, a hamlet in the township of Wadworth, and parish of Halifax, liberty of Wakefield; 11 miles NW. of Halifax, 9 miles from Colne, (Lanc.)"


"ASH DAY, (the seat of Thomas Drake, Esq.) in the township of Southowram, and parish of Halifax; 2 miles from Halifax."


"ASH GROVE, (the seat of John Rawson, Esq.) in the township of Southowram, and parish of Halifax."


"BAITINGS, a hamlet in the township of Soyland, and parish of Halifax, liberty of Wakefield; 8½ SW. of Halifax, and 8 miles SW. of Rochdale, (Lanc.)"


"BARKISLAND, in the parish of Halifax; Morley-division of Agbrigg and Morley, liberty of Wakefield; 5½ miles SW. of Halifax, 6 from Huddersfield, 12 from Rochdale, (Lanc.) Pop. 2,224.

Here is a Free School founded in 1657, by Sarah Gledhill. The old Hall at Barkisland, now occupied as a farm house, is a good specimen of ancient architecture, built about the time of Charles I. It now belongs to the Bold family, of Bold Hall, in Lancashire. --Watson's History of Halifax."


"BEACON HILL, (a Hill) in the township of Southowram, and parish of Halifax; 1 mile from Halifax."


"BEGGERINGTON, a hamlet in the township of Northowram, and parish of Halifax, liberty of Wakefield; 3 miles NW. of Halifax."


"BIRK'S HALL, (the seat of the late Robert Ramsbottom, Esq.) in the township of Ovenden, and parish of Halifax; 1 mile from Halifax."


"BLACKSHAW HEAD, a few houses in the township of Stansfield, and parish of Halifax, liberty of Wakefield; 10 miles from Halifax."


"BLACKSTONE EDGE, in the parish of Halifax, and liberty of Wakefield; 6 miles from Halifax.

Blackstone Edge is a ridge of mountains that divide Yorkshire from Lancashire, over which lays the road from Halifax to Rochdale: this ridge is continued to the Highlands of Scotland."


"BLAITHROYD, (or Blaidroyd) a farm-house in the township of Southowram, and parish of Halifax; 3 miles from Halifax."


"BOOTHTOWN, in the township of Northowram, and parish of Halifax, Morley division of Agbrigg and Morley, liberty of Wakefield; 1 mile N. of Halifax, 7 from Bradford."


"BRADLEY HALL, a farm-house, in the township of Stainland, and parish of Halifax, liberty of Wakefield; 6½ miles S. of Halifax." (There is further information for Bradley Hall).


"BRADSHAW, a village in the parish of Halifax, and the township of Ovenden, wapentake of Morley, 1 mile to the north west of Halifax, its post town. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Ripon, val. 150 pounds, patron: the Vicar of Halifax. (extract from the National Gazetteer 1868. CH, 2001)."


"BREARLEY HALL, (an ancient Mansion,) in the township of Midgley, and parish of Halifax, liberty of Wakefield, 5 miles W. of Halifax, 11½ from Rochdale."


"BRIDGE ROYD, a farm-house and Tan Yard, in the township of Stansfield, and parish of Halifax; 8 miles W. of Halifax."


"BRIGHOUSE, in the township of Hipperholme with Brighouse, and parish of Halifax, Morley-division of Agbrigg and Morley, liberty of Wakefield, (the residence of the Miss Walkers,) 4 miles SE. of Halifax and Huddersfield. No Market. Fair, the day after Martinmas day, for horned cattle, sheep, and pigs.

This is a village of some antiquity, where once a family of that name lived. In Oliver Heywood's Register is the following entry: "Oct. 28, 1684, Capt. Taylors wife, of Brighouse, buried in her garden, with head upwards, standing upright by her husband, daughter, &c. Quakers." --Watson's History of Halifax."


"BROOKFOOT, a hamlet in the township of Southowram, and parish of Halifax; 3½ miles from Halifax."


"BURLEES, 2 houses in the township of Wadsworth, and parish of Halifax; 7 miles from Halifax."


"CATHARINE HOUSE, (the seat of Michael Stocks, Esq.) in the township of Northowram, and parish of Halifax, liberty of Wakefield, 2 miles from Halifax, 6½ from Bradford."


"CATHERINE SLACK, a hamlet in the township of Northowram, and parish of Halifax, liberty of Wakefield, 3½ miles N. of Halifax."


"CHAPEL LE GROVE, or Briers Chapel, or St. Ann's in the grove, in the township of Southowram, and parish of Halifax; 3½ miles SE. of Halifax, 7 from Huddersfield. The Chapel is a perpetual curacy, value, !123.

This chapel, distinguished by the appellation of the three names as above, is dedicated to St. Ann, and appears to have been built 21st Henry VIII. by John Lacy, of Cromwelbotham, Esq. and his neighbours; which Mr. Watson observes, may account for its being placed at so inconvenient a place, "being one mile from Southowram, and near no considerable number of houses." --Watson's History of Halifax."


"CLARE HALL, (the seat of Mrs. Prescott,) in the township and parish of Halifax, from which it is distant ¼ of a mile."


"CLIFFE HILL, in the township of Warley, and parish of Halifax; 2 miles from Halifax."


"CLIFFE HILL, (the seat of the Miss Walkers) in the township of Hipperholme, and parish of Halifax, liberty of Wakefield, 3 miles from Halifax, 6 from Huddersfield, 6½ from Bradford."


"COLEY, in the township of Hipperholme, and parish of Halifax, Morley-division of Agbrigg and Morley, liberty of Wakefield, 3 miles NE. of Halifax, 6 from Bradford. The Church, built in 1500, is a perpetual curacy, value, p.r. 84. Patron, the Vicar of Halifax."


"COPLEY HALL, a farm-house in the township of Skircoat, and parish of Halifax, liberty of Wakefield, 2½ miles S. of Halifax."


"CRAWSTONE HALL, a single house in the township of Elland with Greetland and parish of Halifax; 4 miles from Halifax."


"CRIMESWORTH DEAN, a farm-house in the township of Wadsworth and parish of Halifax, and liberty of Wakefield, 9 miles NW. of Halifax."


"CRIMESWORTH HALL, a single house in the township of Wadsworth, and parish of Halifax, liberty of Wakefield, 9 miles from Halifax."


"CROMWELL BOTTOM, in the township of Southowram, and parish of Halifax, liberty of Pontefract; 4 miles SE. of Halifax, 6 from Huddersfield. It is a manor within the manor of Southowram."


"CROSS STONE, in the township of Stansfield, and parish of Halifax, liberty of Wakefield, 8 miles from Rochdale, (Lanc.) 11 from Halifax. The Church is a perpetual curacy, value, p.r. !90. Patron, the Vicar of Halifax.

"This place," says Mr. Watson, "takes its name from an ancient stone cross, the top of which is now destroyed, and the bottom is made into a seat, whence is a fine view of the country." --Watson's History of Halifax."


"CROW NEST, (the seat of John Walker, Esq.) in the township of Hipperholme, and parish of Halifax, liberty of Wakefield, 3 miles from Halifax, 6 from Huddersfield."


"EASTWOOD, scattered houses, in the township of Stansfield, and parish of Halifax, liberty of Wakefield, 7½ miles from Rochdale, (Lanc.)"


"ELLAND, or Ealand, in the parish of Halifax, Morley-division of Agbrigg and Morley, liberty of Pontefract; 3 miles from Halifax, 5 from Huddersfield, 15 from Leeds. Pop. including Greetland, 5,088, which being united, form a township. The Church is a perpetual curacy, dedicated to St. Mary, value, p.r. 130. 13s. Patron, the Vicar of Halifax." (There is further information for Elland).


"ELPHABROUGH HALL, a single house in the township of Erringden, and parish of Halifax; 6 miles from Halifax."


"ERRINGDEN, in the parish of Halifax, Morley-division of Agbrigg and Morley, liberty of Wakefield, 6 miles W. of Halifax, 10 from Rochdale, (Lanc.) 14 from Huddersfield. Pop. 1,471."


"EWOOD HALL, a single house in the township of Midgley, and parish of Halifax, liberty of Wakefield, 5½ miles W. of Halifax, 13 from Keighley." (There is further information for Ewood Hall).


"EXLEY, a hamlet in the township of Southowram, and parish of Halifax; 2½ miles S. of Halifax, 5½ from Huddersfield."


"FIELD HEAD, a farm-house in the township of Stansfield, and parish of Halifax; 10 miles from Halifax."


"FIELD HOUSE, (the seat of Robert Stansfield, Esq.) in the township of Sowerby, and parish of Halifax; 4 miles from Halifax, 7½ from Huddersfield."


"FIXBY, in the parish of Halifax, Morley-division of Agbrigg and Morley, liberty of Wakefield, (Fixby Hall, the seat of Thomas Thornhill, Esq.) 2 miles NW. of Huddersfield, 6 from Halifax. Pop. 345."


"GREENWOOD LEE, (or Greenwoodley) a single house in the township of Heptonstall, and parish of Halifax; 10 miles from Halifax."


"GREETLAND, in the township of Elland with Greetland, and parish of Halifax, Morley-division of Agbrigg and Morley, liberty of Pontefract; 4 miles S. of Halifax and Huddersfield. Pop. included in Elland." (There is further information for Greetland).


"HAUGH END, (the seat of Major Priestly) in the township of Sowerby, and parish of Halifax, liberty of Wakefield, 3½ miles SW. of Halifax, 8½ from Huddersfield." (There is further information for Haugh End).


"HAWKESTONE SLACK, 2 cotts. in the township of Stansfield, and parish of Halifax, liberty of Wakefield, 10 miles from Halifax and Burnley, (Lanc.)"


"HAYLEY HILL, (or Healey Hill or Haley Hill) scattered houses in the township of Northowram, and parish of Halifax; a quarter of a mile from Halifax."


"HEBDEN BRIDGE, in the townships of Heptonstall and Wadsworth, and parish of Halifax, Morley-division of Agbrigg and Morley; 7½ miles W. of Halifax, 10 from Rochdale, (Lanc.)"


"HEBDEN BRIDGE LANES, in the township of Heptonstall, and parish of Halifax, liberty of Wakefield, 5 miles from Halifax."


"HEIGHTS, in the parish of Halifax, and wapentake of Morley; 6½ miles SW. of Halifax."


"HEPTONSTALL, in the parish of Halifax, Morley division of Agbrigg and Morley, liberty of Wakefield, 8 miles W. of Halifax, 12 from Rochdale, (Lanc.) Pop. 4,543. The Church is a perpetual curacy, dedicated to St. Thomas a Beckett, value !132. Patron, the Vicar of Halifax.

Here is a free Grammar School, founded by Charles Greenwood, Clerk; Rector of Thornhill, who by will, dated July 14, 1642, endowed it with lands and tenements, then of the annual value of 20. The present rental is about 70. per annum. He also left rents for the founding of two Fellowships, and two Scholarships in the University College, Oxford, of which he had been Fellow, but they were unfortunately lost by the mismanagement of his Executors. --Watson's History of Halifax.

In a skirmish betwixt the Cavaliers and the Round heads, during the Civil Wars of Charles I. part of this town was burnt to the ground."


"HEPTONSTALL PARK, in the township of Erringden, and parish of Halifax, Morley-division of Agbrigg and Morley, liberty of Wakefield, 7 miles from Halifax, 13 from Rochdale, (Lanc.)

Heptonstall Park, or more properly speaking, Erringden Park, which was a park appurtenant to the Forest of Sowerbyshire, or Hardwick, and probably enclosed by one of the Earls Warren. This once famous park, which held sheep as well as deer, was disparked 27th Henry VI. and demised to tenants at rents amounting altogether to 24. per annum. It is completely surrounded by the township of Sowerby; and now constitutes the township of Erringden, and forms a part of the parochial chapelry of Heptonstall. --Watson's History of Halifax. --Whitaker."


"HEPTONSTALL SLACK, in the township of Heptonstall, and parish of Halifax, Morley-division of Agbrigg and Morley, liberty of Wakefield, 9 miles from Halifax, 12½ from Rochdale, (Lanc.)"


"HIGH GREENWOOD, in the township of Heptonstall, and parish of Halifax, Morley-division of Agbrigg and Morley; (the seat of William Mitchell, Esq.) 10 miles from Halifax, 12½ from Rochdale, (Lanc.)"


"HIGH ROAD WELL, (or Harewood Well) scattered houses in the township of Skircoat, and parish of Halifax, and wapentake of Morley; 2 miles W. of Halifax."


"HIGH SUNDERLAND, a single house in the township of Northowram, and parish of Halifax; 1 mile from Halifax."


"HIPPERHOLME, in the parish of Halifax, Morley-division of Agbrigg and Morley, liberty of Wakefield, 2¼ miles E. of Halifax, 6¾ from Bradford, 11 from Dewsbury. Pop. including Brighouse, 3,936, which being united, form a township.

Here is a Free School founded by Matthew Broadley, Esq. of London; who, by his Will, dated the 15th of Oct, 1647, gave to his brother Isaac Broadley, of Halifax, certain tenements, &c. within the township of Hippperholme, towards the maintenance of a Free School there: the School received a further augmentation, in 1671, from Samuel Sunderland, Esq. of Harden, near Bingley. The present rental is 114. per annum. --Watson's History of Halifax. --Carlisle."


"HOLDSWORTH, a hamlet in the township of Ovenden, and parish of Halifax, liberty of Wakefield, 3 miles N. of Halifax."


"HOLLINGS HALL, (the seat of John Dearden, Esq.) in the township of Warley, and parish of Halifax, liberty of Wakefield, 3 miles from Halifax."


"HOLYWELL GREEN, in the parish of Halifax, wapentake of Morley; 5 miles S. of Halifax. A mineral water has been discovered here, on which a pamphlet was written by Dr. Garnet. It appears, from his experiments, to contain a large portion of vitriolated iron, besides alum, selenite and ochre; and is supposed, by him, to be the strongest chalybeate water known."


"HOPE HALL, (the seat of Christopher Rawson, Esq.) in the township and parish of Halifax; a quarter of a mile from Halifax."


"HORLEY GREEN, a single house in the township of Northowram, and parish of Halifax; 5 miles from Halifax and Huddersfield.

A Mineral Water has been discovered here, on which a pamphlet was written by Dr. Garnet. It appears, from his experiments, to contain a large portion of vitriolated iron, besides alum, selenite, and ochre; and is supposed, by him, to be the strongest Chalybeate Water ever known. Aikin's Manchester."


"HORSEHOLD, a hamlet in the township of Erringden, and parish of Halifax; 9 miles W. of Halifax."


"HOWROYD, (the seat of Thomas Horton, Esq.) in the township of Barkisland, and parish of Halifax; 6 miles from Halifax and Huddersfield."


"HULLENEDGE, a single house in the township of Elland with Greetland, and parish of Halifax, 3 miles from Halifax."


"ILLINGWORTH, in the township of Ovenden, and parish of Halifax, Morley-division of Agbrigg and Morley, liberty of Wakefield, 2½ miles NW. of Halifax, 7 from Bradford. The Church is a perpetual curacy, dedicated to St. Mary, in the deanry of Pontefract, value, p.r. !135. Patron, the Vicar of Halifax. The Glebe House has been occupied time immemorial as an Ale House.

Here was born, in 1705, David Hartley, a Physician of eminence. He first began to practise Physic at Newark, in Nottinghamshire. Afterwards settled in London, and next removed to Bath, where he died in 1757. Dr. Hartley was the author of some Tracts on Mrs. Stephens' Medicine for the Stone, which he recommended; but he is best known by his Metaphysical Work, entitled "Observations on Man, his Frame, his Duty and his Expectations," 2 vols. 8vo. London, 1749. --Watson's History of Halifax. --Biog. Dict."


"JUMPLES CRAG, a hamlet of around 15 houses in the parish of Halifax, about 3 miles W.N.W. of Halifax.

This hamlet is divided into two parts, the two parts being separated by a recess, for the buses to turn round, then the "croft", an area of rough grass containing several stone blocks, about 5-6 feet high. They had metal hooks on the top, and were originally used for hanging out pieces of cloth, woven in the cottages. In the 1940's, this was a communal hanging-out area for the washing. I lived there for the whole of WWII, and my most vivid memories of the war are standing at the door, (facing West), and watching the glow of fires as the Germans bombed Manchester and Merseyside. We listened to their aircraft passing overhead, easily distinguishable by their de-synchonised engine sounds (to fool our sound-locators). One night, one of their number suddenly turned south, towards a factory making electrical equipment for the Royal Navy, which re-located from Woolwich Arsenal, and we heard the crash of glass breaking as the large landmine burst through the "skylights on the cotton-mill, housing the factory". Except that, they struck glass, alright, but they'd overshot by about a mile and ruined a bloke's (man's) greenhouse! (Gordon Moody, July 2003)."


"KEB COTE, or KIRBY COT, a public house in the township of Stansfield and parish of Halifax; 8 miles from Todmorden, 10 miles from Burnley, 10 from Halifax."


"KEB ROYD, (the seat of Walker Priestley, Esq.) in the township of Soyland, and parish of Halifax, liberty of Wakefield, 5 miles from Halifax, 12 from Rochdale, (Lanc.)"


"KING CROSS, a hamlet in the township of Skircoat, and parish of Halifax, liberty of Wakefield, 1¼ miles SW. of Halifax."


"LADY WELL, a single house in the township of Soyland, and parish of Halifax; 6 miles from Halifax."


"LANGFIELD, a township, in the parish of Halifax, Morley division of Agbrigg and Morley, liberty of Wakefield, 8 miles from Rochdale, (Lanc.) 11 miles W. of Halifax. Pop. 2,069.

This township originally belonged to the Longfields, and passed into the family of the Hamertons, about the end of the reign of Edward III. In the time of Henry VIII. it was, by attainder of Sir Stephen Hamerton, forfeited to the Crown."


"LEE, in the parish of Halifax, wapentake of Morley; 5 miles W. of Halifax."


"LIGHTCLIFFE, a hamlet in the township of Hipperholme, and parish of Halifax, Morley-division of Agbrigg and Morley, liberty of Wakefield, (New House, the seat of William Priestley, Esq.) 3¾ miles E. of Halifax, 6 from Bradford, 7 from Huddersfield. The Church built in 1529, is a perpetual curacy, dedicated to St. Matthew, value, !117. Patron, the Vicar of Halifax."


"LINLANDS, a single house (the ancient seat of the Rastricks, of Rastrick) in the township of Rastrick, and parish of Halifax; 4 miles from Halifax."


"LUDDENDEN, in the townships of Warley and Midgeley, and parish of Halifax, Morley-division of Agbrigg and Morley, liberty of Wakefield, 5 miles W. of Halifax, 11 from Keighley. The Church, which stands in Midgeley, built about 1469, and rebuilt in 1816, is a perpetual curacy, value, p.r. !78. 13s. 4d. Patron, the Vicar of Halifax."


"LUDDENDEN FOOT, a hamlet in the townships of Warley and Midgeley, and parish of Halifax, liberty of Wakefield, 4½ miles W. of Halifax, 7½ from Todmorden."


"MAKING PLACE, a farm-house in the township of Soyland, and parish of Halifax; 5 miles from Halifax."


"MANKINHOLES, a hamlet in the township of Langfield, and parish of Halifax, liberty of Wakefield, 5½ miles from Rochdale, (Lanc.)"


"MARSHALL HALL, a single house in the township of Elland with Greetland, and parish of Halifax; 3 miles from Halifax."


"MARSHAW BRIDGE, in the township of Erringden, and parish of Halifax, Morley-division of Agbrigg and Morley, liberty of Wakefield, 9 miles from Halifax." (There is further information for Marshaw Bridge).


"MAY ROYD, a single house in the township of Wadsworth, and parish of Halifax, liberty of Wakefield, 7 miles W. of Halifax.

May Royd formerly belonged to the family of Cockcroft, whose arms were sable, an elephant passant, argent, in a chef, asure, three mullets, or. Henry Cockcroft paid 15. composition money for not receiving the order of Knighthood, at the Coronation of Charles I. 1630. --Watson's History of Halifax."


"MIDGLEY, in the parish of Halifax, Morley-division of Agbrigg and Morley, liberty of Wakefield, 5 miles W. of Halifax, 12 from Keighley. Pop. 2,207."


"MILLBANK, in the township of Sowerby, and parish of Halifax, Morley-division of Agbrigg and Morley, liberty of Wakefield, 5 miles from Halifax, 8 from Huddersfield."


"MILLWOOD, a hamlet in the township of Stansfield, and parish of Halifax, liberty of Wakefield, 10 miles W. of Halifax, 12 from Rochdale."


"MIXENDEN, in the parish of Halifax and wapentake of Morley; 3 miles NW. of Halifax."


"MOORSIDE, in the parish of Halifax, wapentake of Morley; 6 miles W. of Halifax."


"MOUNT PELLON, in the parish of Halifax, wapentake of Morley, near Halifax."


"MYTHOLM, a few houses in the township of Stansfield, and parish of Halifax; 5 miles W. of Halifax."


"MYTHOLMROYD BRIDGE, a hamlet at the junction of the townships of Wadsworth, Erringden, Sowerby, and Midgley, and parish of Halifax; 6 miles W. of Halifax."


"NEWLAND, a farm-house in the township of Warley, and parish of Halifax; 2½ miles W. of Halifax."


"NORLAND TOWN, in the parish of Halifax, Morley-division of Agbrigg and Morley, liberty of Wakefield, 3½ miles SW. of Halifax, 7 from Huddersfield. Pop. 1,665." (There is further information for Norland Town).


"NORTHOWRAM, in the parish of Halifax, Morley-division of Agbrigg and Morley, liberty of Wakefield, (Northowram Hall, the seat of J.F. Dyson, Esq.) 2 miles NE. of Halifax, 6½ from Bradford. Pop. 6,841."


"OAKS GREEN, a single house in the township of Rastrick, and parish of Halifax, liberty of Wakefield, 5 miles from Huddersfield."


"OLD LINDLEY, a hamlet in the township of Stainland, and parish of Halifax, liberty of Wakefield, 3½ miles from Huddersfield."


"OLD TOWN, a hamlet in the township of Wadsworth, and parish of Halifax; 9 miles from Halifax, 12 from Rochdale, (Lanc.)"


"OVENDEN, in the parish of Halifax, Morley-division of Agbrigg and Morley, liberty of Wakefield, 1¼ miles NW. of Halifax, 10¾ from Keighley. Pop. 6,360.

One Anthony Bentley of Ovenden, Gent. paid in 1630, ten pounds composition money, for not receiving the order of Knighthood at the coronation of Charles I. --Watson's History of Halifax."


"PYE NEST, (the seat of Henry Lees Edwards, Esq.) in the township of Skircoat, and parish of Halifax, liberty of Wakefield, 2 miles from Halifax."


"QUARRY HOUSE, a farm-house in the township of Northowram, and parish of Halifax; 2 miles from Halifax."


"QUEENSBURY, a hamlet in the township of Northowram, and parish of Halifax; 3½ miles from Halifax, 8½ from Bradford."


"RASTRICK, in the parish of Halifax, Morley-division of Agbrigg and Morley, liberty of Wakefield, 4 miles from Halifax, 5 from Huddersfield. Pop. 2,796. The Church is a perpetual curacy, value, *118. 7s. Patron, the Vicar." (There is further information for Rastrick).


"RAWSTONSTALL, in the township of Stansfield, and parish of Halifax, Morley-division of Agbrigg and Morley, liberty of Wakefield, 9 miles from Halifax and Rochdale, (Lanc.)"


"RIDGE NOOK, a farm-house in the township of Wadsworth, and parish of Halifax, liberty of Wakefield, 9 miles SE. of Colne, (Lanc.)"


"RIPPONDEN, in the township of Barkisland, and parish of Halifax, Morley-division of Agbrigg and Morley, liberty of Wakefield, 5 miles SW. of Halifax, 9 from Huddersfield, 11 from Rochdale, (Lanc.) The Chapel is a perpetual curacy, dedicated to St. Bartholomew, value, p.r. !141. 10s. Patron, the Vicar of Halifax." (There is further information for Ripponden).


"RISHWORTH, in the parish of Halifax, Morley-division of Agbrigg and Morley, liberty of Wakefield, 4 miles from Halifax, 5 from Huddersfield, 12 from Bradford. Pop. 1,588.

At this place, is a group of stones, laid, seemingly, one above another, to the height of several yards, and called the Rocking stone. Tradition says, that it once would rock, but that quality is lost. The form of it is not very unlike the Wring Cheese in Cornwall, described by Borlase, and perhaps might serve for the same purposes as that. --Watson's History of Halifax."


"ROOKES, a hamlet in the township of Hipperholme, and parish of Halifax; 4 miles from Halifax."


"ROYD, (the seat of Mrs. Hoyle) in the township of Soyland, and parish of Halifax; 6 miles from Halifax."


"RUSHWORTH HALL, in the parish of Halifax, wapentake of Morley, and manor of Wakefield; 6 miles SSW. of Halifax."


"SALTERHEBBLE, a hamlet in the township of Skircoat, and parish of Halifax, liberty of Wakefield, 1¾ miles SW. of Halifax."


"SALTONSTALL, NETHER (or Lower) and OVER (or Upper), 2 houses in the township of Warley, and parish of Halifax, liberty of Wakefield, 4 miles from Halifax." (There is further information for Saltonstall).


"SCHOLES, a hamlet in the township of Stainland, and parish of Halifax; 4 miles S. of Halifax, 5½ from Bradford."


"SCOUT HALL, a single house in the township of Northowram, and parish of Halifax; 2 miles from Halifax."


"SHACKLETON, a hamlet in the township of Wadsworth, and parish of Halifax, liberty of Wakefield, 9 miles from Halifax."


"SHELF, in the parish of Halifax, Morley-division of Agbrigg and Morley, liberty of Wakefield, 3½ miles NE. of Halifax, 4½ from Bradford. Pop. 1,998."


"SHIBDEN HALL, (the seat of James Lister, Esq.) in the township of Southowram, and parish of Halifax; 2½ miles from Halifax."


"SHORE, a farm-house in the township of Stansfield, and parish of Halifax; 13 miles from Halifax."


"SKIRCOAT, in the parish of Halifax, Morley-division of Agbrigg and Morley, liberty of Wakefield, 1½ miles SW. of Halifax, 7½ from Huddersfield, 9½ from Bradford. Pop. 3,323." (There is further information for Skircoat).


"SLEAD HALL, (the seat of Abraham Firth Macauley, Esq.) in the township of Hipperholme, and parish of Halifax; 2 miles from Halifax."


"SOUTHOWRAM, in the parish of Halifax, Morley-division of Agbrigg and Morley, liberty of Pontefract; 2½ miles SE. of Halifax, 7 from Huddersfield. Pop. 4,256.

Here is a Chapel to Halifax, built and consecrated, in 1819"


"SOUTHOWRAM BANK, (or Bank Top), a hamlet in the township of Southowram, and parish of Halifax, liberty of Wakefield; 1½ miles from Halifax, 7½ from Huddersfield."


"SOWERBY, in the parish of Halifax, Morley-division of Agbrigg and Morley, liberty of Wakefield, 3 miles SW. of Halifax, 9 from Huddersfield. Pop. 6,890. The Chapel, built in 1763, is a perpetual curacy, dedicated to St. Peter, value, p.r. 78. Patron, the Vicar of Halifax." (There is further information for Sowerby).


"SOWERBY BRIDGE, at the junction of the townships of Warley, Skircote, Sowerby, and Norland, in the parish of Halifax, Morley division of Agbrigg and Morley; 2¼ miles SW. of Halifax, 5 from Huddersfield, 13¾ from Rochdale, (Lanc.) The Church is a perpetual curacy, value, p.r. *144. 17s. Patron, the Vicar of Halifax."


"SOWERBY CROFT, a farm-house in the township of Norland, and parish of Halifax, liberty of Wakefield, 3 miles from Halifax."


"SOWOOD, (or Saw Wood) a hamlet in, the township of Stainland, and parish of Halifax, liberty of Wakefield, 5 miles W. of Huddersfield."


"SOYLAND, in the parish of Halifax, Morley-division of Agbrigg and Morley, liberty of Wakefield, 5 miles SW. of Halifax, 10 from Huddersfield, 11 from Rochdale, (Lanc.) Pop. 3,242."


"SOYLAND MILL, a Mill, in the township of Soyland, and parish of Halifax, liberty of Wakefield, 5 miles from Halifax."


"STAINLAND, in the parish of Halifax, Morley-division of Agbrigg and Morley, liberty of Wakefield, 5 miles S. of Halifax and 5 from Huddersfield. Pop. 2,814.

At no great distance from Stainland, at a place called Slack, but within the township of Longwood, in the parish of Huddersfield, is the Cambodunum of Antoninus, as discovered by Mr. Watson, the antiquary of Halifax. Particulars of which may be found in Watson's History of Halifax, and in Whitaker's Loidis and Elmete."


"STANSFIELD, a township, in the parish of Halifax, Morley-division of Agbrigg and Morley, liberty of Wakefield, 4½ miles SW. of Halifax, 8 miles from Rochdale, (Lanc.) Pop. 7,275."


"STANSFIELD HALL, (the seat of John Sutcliffe, Esq.) in the township of Stansfield and parish of Halifax. Stansfield Hall is situated in a very beautiful part of the valley of Todmorden. Here lived a family of considerable repute, who took their name from their situation. The original of them was one Wyan Marmions, probably of Norman extraction, and a follower of Earl Warren." (There is further information for Stansfield Hall).


"STONES HEY GATE, (the seat of Gamalial Sutcliffe, Esq.) in the township of Heptonstall, and parish of Halifax, Morley-division of Agbrigg and Morley; 9 miles from Halifax."


"STONEY ROYD, (the seat of Mrs. Rawson) in the township of Southowram, and parish of Halifax; 1 mile from Halifax."


"STOODLEY, a single house in the township of Langfield and parish of Halifax; 11 miles from Halifax."


"SWIFT PLACE, a farm-house in the township of Soyland, and parish of Halifax, liberty of Wakefield, 6½ miles SW. of Halifax."


"THORPE, (the seat of John Priestley, Esq.) in the township of Sowerby, and parish of Halifax, liberty of Wakefield, 4¼ miles SW. of Halifax, 6½ from Huddersfield."


"TODMORDEN, a market-town, in the parishes of Halifax and Rochdale, (Lanc.) Morley-division of Agbrigg and Morley, and hundred of Salford, (Lanc.) 9 miles from Rochdale, (Lanc.) 9½ from Burnley, (ditto) 11 WSW. of Halifax, 48 from York, 207 from London. Market, Thursday. Fairs, Thursday and Friday before Easter; September 27 and 28, for horned cattle, pedlary ware, &c."


"TOOTHILL, a single house in the township of Rastrick, and parish of Halifax, liberty of Wakefield, 5 miles from Halifax."


"TURVIN VALE, (or Turvin Clough) in the chapelry of Sowerby, and parish of Halifax."


"UNDER BANK, (the seat of James Rawden, Esq.) in the township of Stansfield, and parish of Halifax, liberty of Wakefield, 9 miles W. of Halifax, 12 from Rochdale, (Lanc.)"


"WADSWORTH, a township, in the parish of Halifax, Morley division of Agbrigg and Morley, liberty of Wakefield, 8 miles W. of Halifax, 12 from Rochdale, (Lanc) Pop. 4,509."


"WADSWORTH LANES, a hamlet in the township of Wadsworth and parish of Halifax, liberty of Wakefield, 7 miles from Halifax."


"WARLEY, a township, in the parish of Halifax, Morley-division of Agbrigg and Morley, liberty of Wakefield, 2½ miles W. of Halifax, 8 from Huddersfield. Pop. 4,982.

This place is mentioned in Domesday Book, as one of the nine berewics belonging to the lordship of Wakefield, by the name of Werla. Earl Warren was found to be Lord of it, at the time of Kirby's inquest. In this family it remained, till the last Earl gave it, with the manor of Wakefield, to the Crown."


"WHEATLEY, in the township of Ovenden, and parish of Halifax, liberty of Wakefield, 1½ miles NW. of Halifax.

Bryan Cooke, Esq. of Sandall, in this county, ancestor of the present Baronet, had a son, Bryan, of the same place, who, for his loyalty to Charles I., was fined by the sequestrators, 1460. His son, George Cooke, Esq. was advanced to the dignity of a Baronet, May 10, 1661; which dignity has continued in the family, by a lineal succession, to the present time. --Magna. Brit."


"WHITE WINDOWS, (the seat of George Priestly, Esq.) in the township of Sowerby, and parish of Halifax, liberty of Wakefield, 3½ miles from Halifax, 8 from Huddersfield. (Now a Leonard Cheshire care home. Maureen Mitchell)"


"WHITWELL PLACE, a single house in the township of Elland with Greetland, and parish of Halifax; 4 miles SE. of Halifax."


"WILLOW EDGE, (the seat of Thomas Dyson, Esq.) in the township of Skircoat, and parish of Halifax, liberty of Wakefield, 2 miles from Halifax."


"WILLOW FIELD, the seat of Mrs. John Dyson, in the township of Skircoat, and parish of Halifax, liberty of Wakefield,"


"WILLOW HALL, the seat of the Miss Dysons, in the township of Skircoat, and parish of Halifax, liberty of Wakefield,"


"WINTEREDGE, a single house in the township of Hipperholme, and parish of Halifax; 3 miles from Halifax." (There is further information for Winteredge).


"WITHENS, a few houses in the township of Erringden, and parish of Halifax, liberty of Wakefield, 9 miles WSW. of Halifax, 10½ miles from Huddersfield. (These houses are now under Withens Clough Reservoir)."


"WOOD HOUSE, (the seat of John Armitage, Esq.) in the township of Rastrick, and parish of Halifax, liberty of Wakefield, 3 miles SSW. of Halifax, 6 from Dewsbury.

Wood House, a very ancient Mansion, which, about the year 1330, gave name to a family of some account, as already mentioned under the pedigree of Rastrick. It had its name from the materials of which it was built, to distinguish it from those of stone. --Watson's History of Halifax. This is now (2013) a school."


"WOOD HOUSE HALL, a single house in the township of Skircoat, and parish of Halifax; 4 miles from Halifax, 10 from Huddersfield.

Wood House is a very ancient situation, as appears from its name. The present building has the date 1580. It was purchased for 1800. by Simon Sterne, third son of Dr. Richard Sterne, Archbishop of York. Sterne, author of Tristram Shandy, was of this family. --Watson's History of Halifax."


"WOODLANE HALL, in the parish of Halifax, and wapentake of Morley; 4 miles SW. of Halifax."

[Description(s) edited from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson 2007]


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014