Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for HAMPSTHWAITE: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

HAMPSTHWAITE: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.

"HAMPSTHWAITE, a parish in the lower division of the wapentake of CLARO, West riding of the county of YORK, comprising the chapelry of Thornthwaite with Padside, and the townships of Birstwith, Felliscliffe, Hampsthwaite, and Menwith with Darley, and containing 2750 inhabitants, of which number, 490 are in the township of Hampsthwaite, 1 mile W.S.W. from Ripley. The living is a vicarage, rated in the king s books at £13. 6. 8., in the peculiar jurisdiction of the court for the honour of Knaresborough, and in the patronage of the Rev. T. M. Sham. The church is dedicated to St. Thomas a Becket. William Ridsdale, in 1711, gave a house and two guineas a year for teaching six boys of the township of Hampsthwaite; and in the same year John Richmond founded a free school at West Syke Green, in this parish, and endowed it with & 14 per annum, for educating thirty boys."


"BIRSTWITH, a township in the parish of HAMPSTHWAITE, lower division of the wapentake of CLARO West riding of the county of YORK, 8 miles N.W. from Knaresborough, containing 621 inhabitants. Joha Richmond, in 17H%, gave a rent-charge of £14 for the instruction of poor boys belonging to the townships of Birstwith and Felliscliff."


"DARLEY, a township, joint with Menwith, in the parish of HAMPSTHWAITE, lower division of the wapentake of CLARO, West riding of the county of YORK, 5 miles S.W. from Ripley, containing 648 inhabitants."


"FELLISCLIFFE, a township in the parish of HAMPSTHWAITE, lower division of the wapentake of CLARO, West riding of the county of YORK, 8 miles W. from Knaresborough, containing 382 inhabitants. This township is within the peculiar ecclesiastical jurisdiction of the court of the honour of Knaresborough."


"MENWITH, a township, joint with Darley, in the parish of HAMPSTHWAITE, lower division of the wapentake of CLARO, West riding of the county of YORK, 11 miles N.W. from Knaresborough, containing, with Darley, 648 inhabitants. This township is within tiie peculiar ecclesiastical jurisdiction of the court for the Forest division of the honour of Knaresborough. In 1748 William Day gave land for the education of six poor children} the income is £4?% per annum, and twelve are taught gratuitously."


"PADSIDE, a township in the parish of HAMPSTHWAITE, lower division of the wapentake of CLARO, West riding of the county of YORK, 7 miles W. from Ripley. The population is returned with the chapelry of Thornthwaite."


"THORNTHWAITE, a chapelry in the parish of HAMPSTHWAITE, lower division of the wapentake of CLARO, West riding of the county of YORK, 7 miles S.W. from Ripley, containing, with the township of Padside, 309 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the peculiar jurisdiction of the Honour court of Knaresborough, endowed with £200 private benefaction, £800 royal bounty, and £ 600 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Vicar of Hampsthwaite. Flax-spinning and the manufacture of linen are carried on here. Francis Day, in 1748 and 1757, gave land producing an annual income of £20, for teaching poor children of Thornthwaite, Padside, Menwith Hill, and Darley."

[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]