Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for HAMPSTHWAITE: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

HAMPSTHWAITE: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

"HAMPSTHWAITE, a parish and township in the lower division of the wapentake of Claro, West Riding county York, 2 miles S.W. of Ripley, and 4 N.W. of Harrogate. It is a station on the Nidd Valley branch of the North-Eastern railway. The village, which is large, is situated in the valley of the Nidd. There is a bridge a little to the E. of the village. The parish contains the townships of Birtswith, Felliscliffe, Thornthwaite, and Menwith, and several hamlets The soil is clayey, and the land chiefly arable. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Ripon, value £264. The church, dedicated to St. Thomas-a-Becket, is a stone building with square embattled tower, containing a clock and three bells. The tower was rebuilt in 1821. In the interior are a few mural monuments. There are district churches at Birstwith and Menwith. The Wesleyans have a chapel. There is a National school recently erected, which has a small endowment. The Duke of Devonshire is lord of the manor."


"BIRSTWITH, a township and chapelry in the parish of Hampsthwaite, wapentake of Clare, in the West Riding of the county of York, 3 miles to the W. of Ripley, its post town. It is situated on the banks of the river Nidd, and contains the hamlet of Wreak's Bridge. The living is a perpetual curacy value £200, in the patronage of F. Greenwood, Esq. The church was erected in 1857. Birstwith has a share with Felliscliff in a small endowment for education."


"DARLEY, a township in the parish of Hampsthwaite, lower division of the wapentake of Clare, in the West Riding of the county of York, 5½ miles W. of Ripley, and 4 from Pateley Bridge. It is situated on the river Nidd. There are chapels for Wesleyans, Society of Friends, and Primitive Methodists. There is also a school for both sexes. The township is united with Menwith."


"FELLISCLIFFE, a township in the parish of Hampsthwaite, lower division of the wapentake of Clare, West Riding county York, 3 miles S.W. of Ripley, its post town, and nearly 5 miles from the Ripley station on the Nidd Valley branch of the North-Eastern railway. It includes the hamlets of Kettlesing, Swincliffe, and West-Syke-Green. There is a free school, with an endowment of £14 per annum; also a few charities of small amount. The surface is varied, and the scenery picturesque."


"KETTLESING, a hamlet in the township of Felliscliff, parish of Hampsthwaite, West Riding county York, 3 miles S.W. of Ripley."


"MENWITH, a township in the parish of Hampsthwaite, lower division of the wapentake of Claro, West Riding county York, 11 miles N.W. of Knaresborough. There is a bequest for educational purposes now producing £36 per annum."


"PADSIDE, a hamlet in the parish of Hampsthwaite, lower division of the wapentake of Claro, West Riding county York, 8 miles W. of Ripley. It is situated near the river Washburn, and is in conjunction with Thornthwaite. The Primitive Methodists have a place of worship."


"SWARCLIFFE, a hamlet in the township of Birstwith, parish of Hampsthwaite, West Riding county York, 3 miles S.W. of Ripley."


"SWINCLIFFE, a hamlet in the township of Felliscliffe and parish of Hampsthwaite, West Riding county York, 3 miles S.W. of Ripley."


"THORNTHWAITE, a township in the parish of Hampsthwaite, lower division of Claro wapentake, West Riding county York, 7 miles from Ripley, its post town, and 4 S. of Pateley Bridge. The village is situated on a branch of the river Nidd. The surface is undulating, and a considerable portion is moorland. The district abounds in coal, which is partially worked, and some of the inhabitants are employed in spinning flax, and in linen weaving. The township includes the hamlet of Padside. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Ripon, value £109, in the patronage of the vicar. The church was rebuilt in 1810, at a cost of £500."


"WEST SYKE GREEN, a hamlet in the township of Felliscliffe and parish of Hampsthwaite, West Riding county York, 3 miles S.W. of Ripley."


"WREAKS BRIGG, a hamlet in the township of Birstwith and parish of Hampsthwaite, West Riding county York, 3 miles S.W. of Ripley, on the river Nidd."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013