Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: HANDSWORTH.     Church dedication: ST. MARY.     Church type: Peculiar. Rectory in charge.

Area, 3,510 acres. Strafforth and Tickhill wapentake, S.D. *1 -Population, 2,338; Church-room, 650 *2; Net value, £589. -An ancient Rectory, belonging to the patronage of the Lords Lovetot and Furnival, by whom it descended by Thomas Lord Nevill to the Talbots, Earls of Shrewsbury ; and Gerald de Furnival gave out of it two marks and a half to the prebend of Laughton, as an annual pension, and it hath been reckoned as a Peculiar belonging to the jurisdiction of the Dean and Chapter, by virtue of that Prebend.

The Duke of Norfolk is the patron.

Valued in Pope Nicholas's taxation at £13. 6s. 8d.; in the King's books at £12. 4s. 6d.; and in the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xviii. page 435, at £120 per annum, where it is recommended that " Orgrave be taken from Rotherham, from which it is distant three miles, and annexed to this parish, being only half a mile from Handsworth Church."

An Inclosure Act was passed 42nd Geo. III.

For the inscriptions and catalogue of Rectors, see Hunter's Hallamshire, and South Yorkshire.

17th May 1832, faculty to repair and enlarge the Church, and erect new galleries.

The glebe house is fit for residence.

The Register Books commence in 1558.

Charities:
School. The income arises from the dividends of £421. 15s. 10d. three per cent. consols, bought with a legacy of £200 left by the will of the Rev. Francis Lockier, D.D. formerly Rector of Handsworth, dated 12th May 1734, for educating ten poor children, in reading, writing, and arithmetic, and the dividends of £246. 13s. 2d. three per cent. consols, bought with a legacy of £200 left by Mrs. Howard, the widow of a late Rector, as an augmentation of the master's salary. The master is elected by the inhabitants, and the children are nominated by trustees, of whom the Rector is always one.

Gifts of Fenton and another. It is mentioned in the returns made to Parliament in 1786, that William Fenton gave by will, for five poor widows, a rentcharge of 5s. a year, and that some unknown benefactor gave £60 for the poor of Handsworth, which being laid out in land, produced £2. 2s. a year, then vested in the Rev. John Stacye and John Parker ; but the Commissioners reported that they could obtain no information whatever respecting these donations. -Vide 19th Report, page 573.

Post town: Sheffield.


References:
Torre's MS. West Riding, page 1,237. Abp. Sharp's MS. vol. i. page 297. Hunter's Hallamshire, page 283. Hunter's South Yorkshire, vol. ii. page 182.


Notes:
*1 The parish of Handsworth extends into the liberty of St. Peter of York.

*2 Two hundred additional sittings (of which 100 are free) have been procured, towards which the Society made a grant of £100.


From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.