|Yorkshire||West Riding||Nearby places|
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]
"HANDSWORTH, a parish-town, in the upper-division of Strafforth and Tickhill, liberties of St. Peter and Hallamshire; 4½ miles SE. of Sheffield, 7 from Rotherham, 12½ from Chesterfield, (Derby.) 55 from York. Pop. 2,173. The Church is a rectory, dedicated to St. Mary, in the deanry of Doncaster, value, £12. 4s. 7d. Patron, the Duke of Norfolk.
Handsworth is situated upon an eminence, on the turnpike road from Sheffield to Worksop, from which are commanded extensive and beautiful views of the surrounding country. Not far from the church yard stands the village school, a respectable stone building, erected by subscription in the year 1800, for the education of a certain number of poor children, to be elected pursuant to the Will of Dr. Lockier, formerly rector of this parish, who, with the Hon. Mrs. Jane Howard, wife of the rector, gave the uses of certain monies for its endowment. For an account of this parish, see Hunter's Hallamshire."
Information on the following places in this Parish is contained on a supplementary page.
- Ballifield Hall
- Bramley Hall
- Hall Gate
- Handsworth Woodhouse
- Intack End
- Lamb Hill