GENUKI Home page    Harewood Parish<br>main page Harewood
Parish
main page

HAREWOOD:
Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.

"HAREWOOD, a parish in the West riding of the county of YORK, comprising the townships of Dunkeswith and Weeton, in the upper division of the wapentake of CLARO, the township of East Keswick, in the lower division, and the townships of Alwoodley, Harewood, Weardley, Wigton, and Wike, in the upper division of the wapentake of SKYRACK, and containing 2348 inhabitants, of which number, 849 are in the township of Harewood, 6 miles W.S.W. from Wetherby. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of York, rated in the king's books at 14. 1.10., endowed with 37 per annum private benefaction, and 200 royal bounty, and in Ihe patronage of the Parishioners and Mr. Wheeler alternately. The church, dedicated to All Saints, was erected in the reign of Edward III., upon the site of an edifice supposed to have been built soon after the Conquest: it contains stately monuments to the memory of several of the ancient possessors of Harewood, and one to the memory of the celebrated Sir William Gascoigne, Knt., Lord Chief Justice, in the reign of Henry IV., the upright judge, who, for an insult offered to the dignity of the bench, committed the Prince of Wales (afterwards Henry V.) to prison. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists. The parish is thought to contain coal, though none is obtained. A charter for a market on Monday Was granted to Lord Strafford about 1633, also a fortnight fair in Summer and two other fairs; the latter only are continued, and are held on the last Monday in April, and the second Monday in October. On the acclivity of a hill, at the foot of which winds the river Warf, are the noble ruins of a castle, supposed to have been built about the time of the erection of the original church, by one of the Romellis; it afterwards came into the family of Lascelles, and was neglected as a residence by Edwin Lascelles, Esq., who, before he was raised to the peerage in 1790, fixed upon a spot on the opposite side of the hill, and there built the present splendid seat of the family, at an expense stated to exceed 100,000. Harewood gives the titles of baron and earl to the family ol Lascelles."


"ALWOODLEY, a township in that part of the parish of HAREWOOD, which is in the upper division of the wapentake of SKYRACK., West riding of the county of YORK, 65 miles N. from Leeds, containing 142 inhabitants."


"DUNKESWITH, a township in that part of the parish of HAREWOOD, which is in the upper division of the wapentake of CLARO, West riding of the county of YORK, 6 miles S.W. from Wetherby, containing 257 inhabitants. It is in the Forest division of the hbnour of Knaresborough, and within the jurisdiction of the peculiar court thereof."


"EAST KESWICK, a township in that part of the parish of HAREWOOD, which is in the lower division of the wapentake of SKYRACK, West riding of the county of YORK, 4 miles S.W. from Wetherby, containing 296 inhabitants. Here is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists."


"WEARDLEY, a township in that part of the parish of HAREWOOD, which is in the upper division of the wapentake of SKYRACK,West riding of the county of YORK, 6 miles E. from Otley, containing 191 inhabitants."


"WEETON, a township in that part of the parish of HAREWOOD, which is in the upper division of the wapentake of CLARO, West riding of the county of YORK, 6 miles E.N.E. from Otley, containing 310 inhabitants. The township is in the Forest division, and within the peculiar jurisdiction of the court of the honour of Knaresborough. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists."


"WIGTON, a township in that part of the parish of HAREWOOD, which is in the upper division of the wapentake of SKYRACK, West riding of the county of YORK, 5 miles N.E. from Leeds, containing 164 inhabitants."


"WIKE, a township in that part of the parish of HAREWOOD, which is in the upper division of the wapentake of SKYRACK, West riding of the county of YORK, 6 miles N.N.E. from Leeds, containing 139 inhabitants."

[Transcribed by Mel Lockie from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014