GENUKI Home page    Harewood Parish<br>main page Harewood
Parish
main page

HAREWOOD:
Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

"HAREWOOD, a parish in the upper division of the wapentake of Skyrack, West Riding county York, 7 miles N. of Leeds, its post town, and 4 from the Arthington station of the North-Eastern railway. It is sit sated near the river Wharfe, and contains the townships and villages of Alwoodley, East Keswick, Weardley, Nike, &c. It was once a market town, and formerly belonged to Robert-de-Romeli, from whom it passed to air William de Aldburgh, who built a castle here, of which there are some fine ruins completely covered with ivy. The manor is now in the possession of the Lascelles family, who take the title of Earl of Harewood from this place. The soil is rich, and the land principally arable. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Ripon, value 447. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is an ancient structure lately restored, with square tower containing three bells. It contains several ancient monuments-in particular one to Lord Chief Justice Gascoigne. The parochial charities produce 60 per annum. The Wesleyans have a place of worship, and there is a National school for children of both sexes. There is a savings-bank and a literary and scientific institution. Harewood House, the seat of the Earl of Harewood, was built in 1760, at a cost of 100,000. The gardens and pleasure-grounds were laid out by Browne, and are open on Thursdays for the inspection of visitors. The Earl of Harewood is lord of the manor. Here is a meet for the Bramham Moor hunt. Fairs are held on the last Monday- in April, and the second Monday in October."


"ALWOODLEY, a hamlet in the parish of Harewood, in the upper division of the wapentake of Skyrack, in the West Riding of the county of York, 4 miles to the N. of Leeds. It was once the estate of Sir Gervase Clifton."


"DUNKESWICK, a township in the parish of Harewood, upper division of the wapentake of Clare, in the West Riding of the county of York, 6 miles W. of Wetherby, and 9 N. of Leeds. It is situated on the river Wharfe, and contains the hamlet of Harewood Bridge. The Earl of Harewood is lord of the manor."


"EAST KESWICK, a township in the parish of Harewood, lower division of the wapentake of Skyrack, West Riding county York 3 miles E. of Harewood, and 9 N.E. of Leeds. It is situated near the river Wharfe, which skirts the township on the N. Limestone is quarried and burnt into lime. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Ripon. The church has recently been erected. The Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists have each a chapel, and there are Church and Wesleyan schools for both sexes. The Earl of Harewood is lord of the manor. On one of the farms is a stone wall, partly surrounded by a moat, the only remains of the mansion of the Gascoignes."


"HEWBY, a hamlet in the township of Weeton, and parish of Harewood, West Riding county York, 4 miles E. of Otley. It is situated on the river Wharfe."


"LOFTHOUSE, a hamlet in the parish of Harewood, West Riding county York, 7 miles N.E. of Leeds. It is situated in the valley of the river Wharfe, near the line of the Leeds and Thirsk railway."


"NEWBY, a hamlet in the township of Weeton, and parish of Harewood, West Riding county York, 4 miles E. by N. of Otley. It is situated on the river Wharfe, near Wescho Hill."


"STOCKTON, a hamlet in the parish of Harewood, wapentake of Upper Claro, West Riding county York, 7 miles N. of Leeds, near the river Wharfe."


"WEARDLEY, a township in the parish of Harewood, upper division of Skyrack wapentake, West Riding county York, 2 miles from Arthington station on the North-Eastern railway, and 6 E. of Otley. The soil is light, with a subsoil of sand and rock. The Earl of Harewood is lord of the manor."


"WEETON, a township in the parish of Harewood, West Riding county York, 6 miles N.E. of Otley. It is a station on the Leeds and Thirsk branch of the North-Eastern railway. It is situated near the river Wharfe, and includes the hamlets of Hewby, Newby, and Wescho Hill. The Wesleyans have a chapel."


"WESCHO HILL, a hamlet in the township of Weeton and parish of Harewood, West Riding county York, 6 miles N.E. of Otley."


"WIGTON, a township in the parish of Harewood, upper division of Skyrack wapentake, West Riding county York, 5 miles N.E. of Leeds. It includes the hamlets of Brandon and Alwoodley Gate."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson 2003


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014