Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted

Help and advice for In 1822, the following places were in the Parish of Harewood:

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it.

We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

In 1822, the following places were in the Parish of Harewood:


"ALWOODLEY, in the parish of Harewood, upper-division of Skyrack; 3 miles from Harewood, 5 miles N. of Leeds, 6 from Otley. Pop. 142.

This place was formerly a seat of the Franks, afterwards the estate of Sir Gervaise Clifton, the noted Baronet, who outdid Henry VIII. in the number of his wives; for, whereas that monarch, three Kates, two Nans, and one dear Jane had wedded; this Baronet had three honourables, three right worshipfulls, and one well beloved wife; he died in 1666. --Whitaker's Ducatus Leodiensis."


"ALWOODLEY GATES, a hamlet in the township of Wigton, and parish of Harewood; 3 miles from Harewood, 5 miles N. of Leeds."


"BLACK HILL, in the parish of Harewood wapentake of Skyrack; 2 miles SW. of Harewood, where some foundations of buildings are discernible, and where urns and coins have been frequently found. In the year 1760, two stone coffins were dug up here, containing human bones, one of them was carried into Arthington park, and placed there as a water trough for the use of the deer."


"BRANDON, a hamlet in the township of Wigton, and parish of Harewood; 4 miles NNE. of Leeds, 6¾ from Wetherby, 12 from Tadcaster."


"DUNKESWICK, in the parish of Harewood, upper-division of Claro; 7 miles WSW. of Wetherby, 8½ from Knaresborough, 9½ from Leeds. Pop. 257."


"EAST KESWICK, a township, in the parish of Harewood, lower division of Skyrack; 3 miles from Harewood, 3½ from Wetherby, 6 miles NE. of from Leeds. Pop. 296"


"HAREWOOD BRIDGE INN, in the township of Dun Keswick, and parish of Harewood; 1 mile from Harewood, 7 from Harrogate, 8 from Otley, 9 from Knaresborough."


"HAREWOOD HOUSE, (the seat of the Earl of Harewood) in the township and parish of Harewood, upper-division of Skyrack; 5 miles from Leeds and Harrogate." (There is further information for Harewood House).


"HUBY, in the township of Weeton, and parish of Harewood, upper-division of Claro; 5 miles from Otley, 8 from Wetherby, 10 from Leeds."


"LOFTHOUSE, a farm-house in the township and parish of Harewood; 1½ miles S. of Harewood."


"NEWBY, 2 houses in the township of Weeton, and parish of Harewood; 4¾ miles ENE. of Otley."


"WEARDLEY, in the parish of Harewood, upper-division of Skyrack; 1 mile W. of Harewood, 6½ from Otley. Pop. 191."


"WEETON, in the parish of Harewood, upper-division of Claro; 6 miles ENE. of Otley, 8 from Wetherby, 9½ from Leeds. Pop. 310."


"WESCOE HILL, (or West Key Hill or West Kyhill) in the township of Weeton, and parish of Harewood; 5 miles from Otley and Harewood."


"WIGTON, a township, scattered houses in the parish of Harewood, upper-division of Skyrack; 3½ miles from Harewood, 5 N. of Leeds, 8 from Wetherby. Pop. 164."


"WIKE, in the parishes of Harewood and Bardsey, upper-division of Skyrack; 2 miles S. of Harewood, 6½ from Leeds, 8 from Wetherby. Pop. 139."

[Description(s) edited from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson © 2013]