"HATFIELD, a village, in the parish of its name, in the same wapentake as Thorne, is three miles S.S.W. of that town. It is part of the manor of Thorne, and courts leet are held here at Lady-day and Michaelmas, and so much of the court baron is preserved as enables the steward to hold a court for the recovery of small debts; this court is held every three weeks. The township contained, by the returns for 1821, 1,948 inhabitants."
Note: The directory entry for Hatfield in Pigot's 1829 Directory is included with Thorne.