Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: HICKLETON.     Church dedication: SAINT DENNIS.     Church type: Perpetual Curacy.

Area, 770 acres. Strafforth and Tickhill wapentake, N.D. -Population, 154 *1; Church-room, 192 *2; Net value, £53. -This Church was an ancient Rectory, belonging to the patronage of the Rotherfelds, and from them of the Cursons and Scotts, and given, 25th Edward III., by Sir William Scott, Knight, to the Priory and Convent of Monk Bretton, to which it was appropriated on the 28th June 1386. Mr. Torre does not mention any endowment, or give any list of Vicars, neither is any catalogue of them given by Mr. Hunter. It is now only a Perpetual Curacy.

Patron, Sir F. Wood, Bart.

The Church is valued, in Pope Nicholas's taxation, at £8. In the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xviii. page 514, it is stated : " A Vicarage, £6. 13s. 4d." In 1707, at £4 ; and in 1818, at £100 per annum.

Augmented, in 1746, with £200, by lot ; in 1749, with £200, to meet benefaction of lands worth £200 from Godfrey Wentworth, Esq.; in 1809, with £200, by lot ; in 1812, with £300 from the Parliamentary grant, to meet benefactions of £100 and £100 from Godfrey Wentworth Wentworth, Esq., the patron ; and in 1814, with £300 from the same grant, to meet benefactions of £100 from Mrs. Pyncombe's trustees, and £100 from the said Godfrey Wentworth Wentworth, Esq.

For the inscriptions, &c., see Hunter's South Yorkshire.

There is no glebe house. A charge of £96 upon the living is mentioned in the Report of the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, page 941. Time of cessation uncertain.

The Register Books commence in 1694. The early registers, says Mr. Hunter, are lost.

Charities:
Cartwright's, alias Vi-cars's charity. A pension of 13s. 4d. a year is paid to a poor person of this parish. -Vide General Charities.

Lady Hutton's charity. The sum of £10 is mentioned in the return made in 1786, but the Commissioners could obtain no information relative to this donation. -Vide 19th Report, page 574.

Post town: Doncaster.


References:
Torre's MS., page 871. Nonae Roll, page 220. Abp. Sharp's MS. vol. i. page 232. Hunter's South Yorkshire, vol. ii. page 132.


Notes:
*1 Including Spotfield, an extra-parochial spot, containing one family. In 1834, the Population was returned at 192.

*2 According to the return of 1818. In 1834, the return was-" sufficient."


From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.