"HICKLETON, a parish in the N. division of the wapentake of Strafforth, West Riding county York, 6 miles N.W. of Doncaster, its post town, 9 from Rotherham, and 12 from Pontefract. The village is situated on the Doncaster and Barnsley road, near the river Dearne. The land is chiefly arable and very fertile. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of York, value £53. The church, dedicated to St. Denis, is an ancient stone structure, with a tower containing a clock and three bells. The interior of the church contains an ancient font and tombs of the Wentworth family. The register dates from 1694. The parochial charities produce about £1 per annum. Hickleton Hall, the principal residence, is the seat of the Right Hon. Sir Charles Wood, who is lord of the manor."