Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: HIGH HOYLAND.     Church dedication: ALL SAINTS.     Church type: Discharged Rectory.

Area, 3,250 acres. Staincross wapentake. -Population, 1,118 *1; Church-room, 350; Net value, £455. -A Rectory, formerly of two medieties, the one of the patronage of the Burghs and Assenells, Knights, from them to the Watertons, of Skelton, Knights, and then to the Wentworths ; the other to the Carlton and Scotts, Knights, and from them to the Watertons and Dymocks.

11th August 1811, the medieties were consolidated, by decree of the Archbishop of York.

Patrons, Mrs. Beaumont and the Earl of Mexborough, alternately.

Valued in Pope Nicholas's taxation, at £13. 6s. 8d.; viz., Alexander's part, £6. 13s. 4d., and Ralph's part, £6. 13s. 4d.; in the King's books, at £5. 3s. 3¼d. each mediety; Synodals, 2s.; and in the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xviii. page 413, it is stated : " Rectory of medieties, each worth £50 per annum. Mr. William Sarvyle, parson of one, is not well affected to the Parliament, and hath been punished for reading the Book of Common Prayer, and notwithstanding will sometimes make use of the same in administration of the Sacraments. The medieties to be annexed, and Bretton, in the parish of Silkston, to he also annexed."

Augmented, in 1727 (first mediety), with £200, to meet benefaction of £200 from Sir W. Wentworth, Bart.

Inclosure Acts were passed 39th and 40th Geo. III. (Denby and West Clayton), and 39th and 40th Geo. III. (Skelmanthorpe).

For the inscriptions, and catalogue of the Rectors of both medieties, see Hunter's South Yorkshire.

The glebe house, which was rebuilt under faculty dated 11th August 1811, is fit for residence.

13th August 1766, faculty to build a gallery..

19th November 1803, ditto to rebuild the Church, except the steeple and belfrey.

The Register Books commence in 1720. -Vide earlier transcripts at York.

Charities:
Township of West Clayton. -Poor's Land. 1a. 3r. 38p. Rent distributed yearly on the Saturday before old Midsummer-day among poor persons, with a preference to widows and others not receiving parochial relief.

William Turton's gift, by will, dated 10th August 1559. Rent-charge of 12 strikes of rye, to be distributed yearly in Passion Week among the poor of Denby and Clayton. For several years last past, an equivalent sum of money has been rendered in lieu of the rye, and distributed among poor widows.

Poor's Money. A benefaction fund, amounting to £40. Interest distributed annually with the rent of the poor's land.

HAMLET OF SKELMANTHORPE. -Allotment. Seven acres allotted under the inclosure. £6 per annum out of the rent is paid to the schoolmaster for teaching six free scholars to read and write; the remainder to the poor, on St. Thomas's day.

The Frith dole. 10s. per annum rent-charge, given among poor people on St. Thomas's day. -Vide 17th Report, page 750.

Post town: Barnsley.


References:
Torre's MS., page 1,071. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. i. pages 270. 335. Nonae Roll, page 224. Hunter's South Yorkshire, vol. ii. page 363.


Notes:
*1 Viz. West Clayton, 887; High Hoyland, 231; and Skelmanthorpe. The Population is exclusive of Skelmanthorpe, part of which is in Emley parish, but is included in Cumberworth half (Kirkburton parish, Agbrigg wapentake). The Population of the High Hoyland part of Skelmanthorpe is included in Cumberworth half (Silkstone parish, in this wapentake).


From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.