"HIGH HOYLAND, a parish in the wapentake of STAINCROSS, West riding of the county of YORK, comprising the townships of West Clayton and High Hoyland, and containing, exclusively of a portion of the township of Skelmanthorpe which is in this parish, 1122 inhabitants, of which number, 268 are in the township of High Hoyland, 8 miles W.N.W. from Barnesley. The living is a discharged rectory, formerly in medieties, now united, in the archdeaconry and diocese of York, each rated in the king's books at £5. 3, 4., the first endowed with £200 private benefaction, and £200 royal bounty, and in the patronage of T. W. Beaumont, Esq. The church is dedicated to All Saints."
"CLAYTON WEST, a township in the parish of HIGH-HOYLAND, wapentake of STAINCROSS, West riding of the county of YORK, 7 miles W.N.W. from Barnesley, containing 854 inhabitants, of whom several are occupied in the manufacture of stuffs, fancy goods, &c."