Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for HIGH HOYLAND: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

HIGH HOYLAND: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

"HIGH HOYLAND, a parish in the wapentake of Staincross, West Riding county York, 6 miles N.W. of Barnsley, its post town, and 3 W. of the Darton railway station. The village is situated on the brow of a lofty range of hills, commanding extensive prospects. The parish contains the townships of Scissett, West Clayton, Comberworth, and Skelmanthorpe. There are several collieries, and a portion of the inhabitants are employed in the worsted mills. The land is nearly equally divided between arable and pasture, with about 300 acres of woodland and plantations. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ripon, value 1st and 2nd medieties together, £455. There is also a district church at Scissett, the living of which is a perpetual curacy,* value £102. The parish church is dedicated to All Saints. The churchyard contains a tombstone to Anne Copley, who died at the age of 105 years, and bears date 1707. The parochial charities produce about £20 per annum. The Rev. E. Bird is lord of the manor and chief landowner."


"CUMBERWORTH, a township and chapelry in the parishes of Silkstone and High Hoyland, wapentake of Staincross, in the West Riding of the county of York, 6 miles S.E. of Huddersfield, and 5 E. of Holmfirth. It contains the hamlet of Scissett. Many of the inhabitants are engaged in the neighbouring collieries and ironworks. The living is a donative curacy* in the diocese of Ripon, value £148, in the patronage of W. B. Beaumont, Esq. The church, dedicated to St. Nicholas, is an ancient Norman structure. The charities amount to £4 per annum. The Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists have chapels. There is a National school."


"CUTTLEHURST, a village in the township of West Clayton, parish of High Hoyland, in the West Riding of the county of York, 5 miles N.W. of Barnsley. It is situated near the North Midland railway."


"PARK MILL, a hamlet in the township of Clayton and parish of High Hoyland, West Riding county York, 5 miles N. of Peniston."


"SKELMANTHORPE, a hamlet in the township of Cumberworth, and parishes of Emley and High Hoyland, West Riding county York, 6 miles S.E. of Huddersfield. The land is fertile, and the substratum contains freestone and coal. The village, which is considerable, contains several mills for the manufacture of worsted and silk goods. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans, and a National school supported partly by a small endowment. On the enclosure of Cumberworth common 7 acres were allotted to this hamlet."


"SPRING GROVE, a hamlet in the township of Clayton and parish of High Hoyland, West Riding county York, 6 miles N.W. of Barnsley."


"WEST CLAYTON, a township in the parish of High Hoyland, wapentake of Staincross, in the West Riding of the county of York, 1 mile W. of High Hoyland. It is situated near the North Midland railway. The manufacture of woollens and flax-spinning is carried on. The Earl of Scarborough is lord of the manor."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013