"HIGH MELTON, a parish in the lower division of the wapentake of Strafforth, West Riding county York, 4 miles S.W. of Doncaster, its post town, and 2½ from Mexborough railway station. It is a small agricultural village, situated on an eminence near the river Don, affording varied views of the surrounding country. Nearly a third of the parish is woodland, the remainder arable and pasture. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of York, value £97. The church, dedicated to St. James, is an ancient structure with a tower containing a clock and three bells. The church has some stained windows, also monuments of the Wilson and Fountayne families. The register dates from 1538. The Independents have a place of worship. The parochial charities produce about £8 per annum. Melton Hall is the principal residence."