Area, 18,970 acres. Staincliffe and Ewcross wapentakes, W.D. -Population, 567 ; Church-room, 500 *1; Net value, £108. -Horton contains six carucates of land, whereof John de Steling held two oxgangs of the Hospital of St. Leonard of Boulton, and six others were held of the same hospital.
The Rectory and tithes belonged to the nunnery at Clementhorpe, near York.
Archbishop Sharp says he finds nothing of this Church, but that it was in his list as a Vicarage, and pays 6s. 8d. Procurations and 8d. Synodals ; that no Vicar had ever been instituted, and that the patron was also impropriated.
Patron, the Rev. G. Holden, LL.D.
Valued in the King's Books at £4. 6s. 8d.; in 1818, the certified value was £55 per annum ; and in the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xviii. page 218, the Vicarage was valued at £9 per annum.
Augmented in 1763, with £200, by lot ; and in 1765, with £200, to meet benefaction of £400 from the Rev. Thomas Wilson, Dean of Carlisle; and in 1793, with £200, and in 1816, with £1,200 from the Parliamentary grant, both by lot.
There was an unreported decree in the Exchequer, in Trinity Term, 20th Car. II.
" The particular manner of tithing in the parish of Horton, in Riddlesdale, in the county of York, is set forth in Wilson v. Redman, 1 Wood, page 63.
" The demesne lands of the manor of Horton are tithe free, as having been formely parcel of the possessions of the monastery of Jerveaux." - Wilson v. Redman, 1 Wood, page 64.
An Inclosure Act was passed 54th Geo. III.
2nd August 1826, faculty to rebuild part of the Church, and re-pew it. No glebe house.
The Register Books commence in 1556. The entries for marriages are apparently defective from 1707 to 1718. -Vide Transcripts at York.
Free grammar school. Founded by John Armitage, by deed, dated 25th January 1725, for the children of the parishioners. The master to be in holy orders. About fifty scholars in reading, writing, and arithmetic ; only about five at the time of the Report were receiving classical instruction, and all who desired it were taught the dead languages. The quantity of land is not stated, but the income at the time of the Report was £160.
Preston's poor land. Rent of house and ten acres of land, distributed among poor housekeepers.
Poor folks' close. Rent of one acre of land, distributed among the poor.
Ann Redmayne's gift. Interest of £15 distributed on the 1st of March in every year, among four poor persons, preferring such as are understood to be of kin to the donor. -Vide 15th Report, page 698.
Post town: Settle.
Torre's MS. page 502. Abp. Sharp's MS. vol. i. page 141. Mon. Ang. vol. iv. pages 323. 326, 327. Whitaker's Craven, page 146.
*1 According to the return of 1818. In 1834, the Church-room was returned "sufficient."