Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for In 1822, the following places were in the Parish of Horton In Ribblesdale:

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

In 1822, the following places were in the Parish of Horton In Ribblesdale:


"BEECROFT HALL, in the parish of Horton in Ribblesdale, wapentake of Ewecross; 6 miles N. of Settle."


"BIRKWITH, a single house in the township and parish of Horton in Ribblesdale; 8 miles N. of Settle, 14 from Hawes."


"BRACKEN BOTTOM, a hamlet in the township and parish of Horton in Ribblesdale; 6 miles from Settle."


"CAM HOUSES, a hamlet in the township and parish of Horton in Ribblesdale; 9½ miles SW. of Askrigg, 14 from Settle."


"INGLEBOROUGH, in the parishes of Low Bentham, Horton in Ribblesdale and Clapham, wapentake of Staincliffe; 10 miles SE. of Settle, a mountain 3987 feet above the level of the sea. From the summit of Ingleborough, the country with its roads, rivers, towns and villages, capes and bays, may be seen like a large map stretched under the eye of the observer to a distance of 40, 50, and 60 miles. The immense lime-stone base on which this mountain stands is between 20 and 30 miles in circumference. The rise in some places is even and gradual, whilst in others, as to the N. and W. it is rugged and almost perpendicular. The top is plain and horizontal, being almost a mile round, having the ruins of an old wall upon it. On the western edge there is the remains of a beacon about 4 yards high, ascended by steps; and which may be seen over a vast tract of country. Though Whernside is higher than Ingleborough, yet the top of the latter mountain, from its situation, is the first land that the sailors descry in their voyage from Dublin to Lancaster, and it is seen when they are 30 miles at sea."


"INGMAN LODGE, a single house in the township and parish of Horton in Ribblesdale; 11 miles N. of Settle."


"LINGILL BRIDGE, a single house in the township and parish of Horton in Ribblesdale; 11 miles N. of Settle."


"NETHER LODGE, a single house in the township and parish of Horton in Ribblesdale; 10 miles NW. of Settle."


"NEW HOUSES, a hamlet in the township and parish of Horton in Ribblesdale; 6½ miles from Settle."


"NEW INN, a hamlet in the township and parish of Horton in Ribblesdale; 6½ miles from Settle, on the road to Hawes."


"RAW, in the parish of Horton in Ribblesdale, wapentake of Ewcross; 6½ miles from Settle, 15½ from Kirby Lonsdale, (Westm.)"


"SELSIDE, a hamlet in the township and parish of Horton in Ribblesdale; 9 miles N. of Settle, 13 from Kirby Lonsdale, (Westm.)"


"STUDFIELD, a hamlet in the township and parish of Horton in Ribblesdale; 5 miles N. of Settle, 17 from Hawes."


"THORNS, a single house in the township and parish of Horton in Ribblesdale; 12 miles N. of Settle and 12 from Askrigg."

[Description(s) edited from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson © 2013]