Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for HUDDERSFIELD: Huddersfield-Ramsden Street Congregational Church History up to 1868.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

HUDDERSFIELD: Huddersfield-Ramsden Street Congregational Church History up to 1868.

HUDDERSFIELD-RAMSDEN STREET.* (CONGREGATIONAL.)

Ramsden Street Chapel was opened Dec. 28, 1825, Revs. J. Parsons, John Thorpe, and Dr. Bennett being the preachers. It is a noble and spacious building, capable of containing about 1400 persons. The collections at the opening amounted to £530.

The pastors have been-

  • 1827. Rev. JOHN EAGLETON, from Birmingham. Mr. E. was a native of Coventry, and was at first a local preacher among the Wesleyans; but his doctrinal sentiments became Calvinistic. He was afterwards at Birmingham, whence he removed to Huddersfield. "Mr. E. was endowed with no ordinary qualifications for the Christian ministry. He possessed an original and vigorous mind, and had the ability of giving full force to his thoughts and feelings by the use of nervous and expressive language. Distinguished by argumentative and impassioned eloquence, he laid hold on the conscience with an iron grasp, shaking one world with the thunders of the next, yet sometimes combining a melting tenderness that touched and swayed the finer affections of the heart." One of his able daughters published a brief memoir of her father. Mr. E. died 1832, æt. 47.
  • Sept. 18, 1833. Rev. JoHN THORPE (son of Rev. W. Thorpe, Bristol), from Chester. Mr. T. resigned his charge at Huddersfield in 1836, and was afterwards settled at Mount Zion Chapel, Sheffield. He was the author of a work entitled "Sidney Morecamb."
  • 1837. Rev. WILLIAM HURNDALL (Cheshunt Coll.). Mr. H. was a useful and laborious pastor, but he suffered much from ill-health. He left for Bishop's-Stortford May, 1843, and is now living, without a charge, at Clifton, Bristol.
  • 1845. Rev. RICHARD SKINNER, from Hadleigh. During his ministry, South Street Meeting-house was built for the accommodation of the people gathered by the successful labours of Mr. Dugdale, the Congregational missionary; and the Guildhall premises were bought for the accommodation of the Ramsden Street Sunday-school. Mr. S. is the present minister (in 1868).

NOTES:-
* Aided by Rev. R. Skinner.


Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2014
from the Appendix to
Congregationalism in Yorkshire
by James C. Miall, 1868.