Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for HUNSINGORE: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

HUNSINGORE: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.

"HUNSINGORE, a parish in the upper division of the wapentake of CLARO, West riding of the county of YORK, comprising the townships of Cattal, Hunsingore, and Great Ribston with Walshford, and containing 599 inhabitants, of which number, 237 are in the township of Hunsingore, 4 miles N.N.E. from Wetherby. The living is a vicarage, in the peculiar jurisdiction of the Lord of the Manor, rated in the king's books at £5.17 3. Sir H. Goodricke was patron in 1801. The church is dedicated to St. John the Baptist."


"CATTAL, a township in the parish of HUNSINGORE, upper division of the wapentake of CLARO, West riding of the county of YORK, 5 miles N.N.E. from Wetherby, containing 207 inhabitants."


"GREAT RIBSTON, a township, joint with Walshford, in the parish of HUNSINGORE, upper division of the wapentake of CLARO, West riding of the county of YORK, 3 miles N. from Wetherby, con- taining,with Walshford, 155 inhabitants. It is almost surrounded by the river Nidd. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists. The fine apples, known by the name of Ribston Pippins, were first cultivated here, the original tree having been raised from a pippin brought from France. Here was a preceptory of Knights Templars, founded by Robert, Lord Ross, and afterwards granted to the Knights Hospitallers: at the dissolution it was valued at £265. 9. 6. per annum, and is now a private, mansion, the chapel of which contains some memorials to the family of Goodriche; and in the cemetery is the sepulchral monument of the Roman standard-bearer to the ninth legion, which was found at York, in 1638. This township is within the peculiar jurisdiction of the Manorial Court of Hunsingore."


"WALSHFORD, a township, joint with Great Ribston, in the parish of HUNSINGORE, upper division of the wapentake of CLARO, West riding of the county of YORK, 3?% miles N.E. from Wetherby. The population is returned with Great Ribston. It is in the peculiar jurisdiction of the manorial court of Hunsingore."

[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]