Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: KEIGHLEY.     Church dedication: ST. ANDREW.     Church type: Rectory in charge.

Area, 10,160 acres. Staincliffe wapentake, E.D. -Population, 11,176; Church-room, 1,000; Net value, £358. -An ancient Rectory, which belonged to the patronage of the Prior and Convent of Bolton, to whom it was granted by Ralph de Kighley. Upon the Dissolution, the advowson was granted by the Crown to the Cliffords, Earls of Northumberland, and by marriage came to the Earls of Burlington, and the Duke of Devonshire is the present patron.

Valued in Pope Nicholas's second taxation at £8; in the King's books at £21. 0s. 6d.; and in the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xviii. page 217, at £120 per annum.

An Inclosure Act was passed 20th Geo. III.

The Church was rebuilt in 1805. The old Church would only contain 900 persons.

Dr. Whitaker gives a catalogue of the Rectors.

30th January 1761, license to erect a gallery.

12th September 1793, additional burial-ground consecrated.

8th February 1805, faculty to rebuild the Church and erect galleries.

7th November 1808, confirmation of allotments of pews.

11th February 1811, faculty to erect an organ.

11th August 1814, confirmation of allotments.

30th January 1815, faculty to make certain alterations in the Church, and also in the sittings.

The old glebe house was unfit for residence, being a very ancient and dilapidated building. A new glebe house is now erected.

The Register Books commence in 1562.

Charities:
The Free School, founded by the will of John Drake, dated 27th March 1713, for the gratuitous teaching of children residing within the parish, in English, Latin, and Greek; the schoolmaster to be an unmarried man. The Rector and six inhabitants are the trustees. There are about fifty scholars, who pay for instruction in writing and arithmetic. The income of the school is £162. 9s. 6d. arising from the rent of seven acres of land and of several houses. The master's salary is £100 per annum.

The preparatory school, founded for the support of an usher, by Jonas Tonson, by deed, dated 19th October 1716. The usher to be chosen by the trustees, with the consent of the parson. The income arises from rent of 16a. of land and a house, but subject to a debt of £300.

Harehill free school, founded by Sarah Heaton, by will, dated 27th June 1738, for teaching English and Latin, without requiring any salary. The trustees to be chosen by the freeholders within the manor of Oakworth. There are about sixty scholars (boys and girls) in the whole, who are instructed in English reading, but the free scholars pay 4d. a week for instruction in writing and arithmetic. The income arises from the rent of 33a. of land, but subject to a debt of £105.

Isaac Bowcock's charity, by will, dated 11th February 1669, for apprenticing five poor boys and relieving the poor. Income (subject to a debt of £400): rent of 13a. 2r. 21p., and 3,525 square yards of land, eleven houses, and rent-charge of £4.

Poor's estate. 19a. 0r. 3p. of land. -Vide 17th Report, page 770.

A post town.


References:
Torre's MS., page 533. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. i. page 129. Gent's Ripon, page 34. Whitaker's Craven, page 156. Gentleman's Magazine, vol. lxxxv. page 495.


From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.