Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: KETTLEWELL.     Church dedication: ST. MARY.     Church type: Discharged Vicarage.

Area, 8,320 acres. Staincliffe wapentake, E.D. Population, including Starbotten, 673 *1; Church-room, 500 *2; Net value, £120. -This Church was a Rectory of two medieties ; the one belonging to the patronage of the Lords Grey, of Rotherfeld, and the other to the Abbot and Convent of Coverham ; to which the said mediety was appropriated, 4th December 1344 ; and again in 1388, and a Vicarage ordained.

Patron, R. Foster, Esq.

Valued in Pope Nicholas's second taxation at £8 per annum; in the King's books at £5 per annum ; and in the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xviii. page 201, at £40 per annum.

Augmented in 1741 with £200, to meet a benefaction of £200 from the Rev. Cavendish Neville.

In the 41st Geo. III. and 56th Geo. III. Acts were passed for inclosing Buckden and Starbotten.

21st August 1819, faculty granted to take down and rebuild the Church.

3rd May 1822, confirmation of allotment of pews.

The glebe house was returned, in 1818, as fit for residence. It was obtained in exchange, under a faculty dated 26th November 1743. In 1834, the house was returned as unfit for residence.

The Register Books commence in 1698; though Dr. Whitaker, in page 485 of his History of Craven, says the old books are lost. The doctor gives a list of the Vicars ; see also Torre's MS.

Charities:
Fawcett's dole. Rentcharge of 10s. per annum, for poor people.

School-house. Solomon Swale built a school-house on the Waste, and gave five sheep gates for keeping the building in repair. An allotment of two acres was given in lieu of the gates on the inclosure. A rent-charge of 30s. per annum, given by some person unknown, is paid to the schoolmaster, for teaching three poor children to read and write. -Vide 15th Report, page 700.

Post town: Skipton.


References:
Torre's MS., page 461. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. i. page 128. Mon. Angl. vol. vi. page 921. Whitaker's Craven, page 479. Bray's Tour, Page 306.


Notes:
*1 25 men are employed in lead mines.

*2 114 additional sittings (of which 71 are free) have been procured, towards which the Society made a grant of £100.


From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.