Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for KILDWICK: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

KILDWICK: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.

"KILDWICK, a parish in the eastern division of the wapentake of STAINCLIFFE-AND-EWCROSS, West riding of the county of YORK, comprising the chapelry of Silsden, and the townships of Bradley's Both, Cowling, Farnhill with Cononley, Glusburn, Kildwick, Stceton with Easburn, Stirton with Thorlby, and Sutton, and containing 8605 inhabitants, of which number, 175 are in the township of Kildwick, 4 miles S.S.E. from Skipton. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the peculiar jurisdiction of the Dean of York, rated in the king's books at £10. 8. 1., endowed with £200 private benefaction, and £200 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Dean and Canons of Christ Church, Oxford. The church, dedicated to St. Andrew, is principally in the later style of English architecture."


"CONONLEY, a township, joint with Farnhill, in the parish of KILDWICK, eastern division of the wapentake ofSTAINCLIFFE-and-EAVCROSS, West riding of the county of YORK, 3 miles S. from Skipton. The population is returned with Farnhill."


"COWLING, a township in the parish of KILDWICK, eastern division of the wapentake of STAINCLIFFE and EWCROSS, West riding of the county of YORK, 5 miles S.S.W. from Skipton, containing 1870 inhabitants, who are chiefly employed in the cotton manufacture. A school is endowed with about £16 per annum, arising from land bequeathed by Hugh Smith, in 1665."


"EASTBURN, a township, joint with Steeton, in the parish of KILDWICK, eastern division of the wapentake of STAINCUFFE-AND-EWCROSS, West riding of the county of YORK, 4 miles N.W. from Keighley, containing 753 inhabitants."


"FARNHILL, a township, joint with Cononley, in the parish of KILDWICK, eastern division of the wapentake of STAINCLIFFE-AND-EWCROSS, West riding of the county of YORK, 3 miles S.S.E. from Skipton, containing 1350 inhabitants."


"GLUSBURN, a township in the parish of KILDWICK, eastern division of the wapentake of STAINCLIFFE-and-EWCROSS, West riding of the county of YORK, 4 miles S. from Skipton, containing 787 inhabitants. The manufacture of cotton is carried on here."


"LOWER BRADLEY, (and Upper Bradley), a township in the parish of KILDWICK, eastern division of the wapentake of STAINCLIFFE and EWCROSS, West riding of the county of YORK., 2 miles S.S.E. from Skipton, containing 506 inhabitants. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists."


"SILSDEN, a chapelry in the parish of KILDWICK, eastern division of the wapentake of STAINCLIFFE-and-EWCROSS, West riding of the county of YORK, 4 miles N.W. from Keighley, containing 1904 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the peculiar jurisdiction of the manorial court of Silsden, endowed with £400 private benefaction, £400 royal bounty, and £400 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Earl of Thanet. The chapel is dedicated to St. James. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists. The manufacture of woollen cloth, calico, and nails, is carried on. Five poor children are taught for £3. 6. 8. a year, the bequest of William Laycock, in 1612."


"STEETON, a township, joint with Eastburn, in the parish of KILDWICK, eastern division of the wapentake of STAINCLIFFE-and-EWCROSS, West riding of thecounty of YORK, 2 miles N.W. from Keighley, containing, with Eastburn, 753 inhabitants. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists. William Laycock, in 1612, gave a rent-charge of £3. 6. 8. in support of a school."


"STIRTON, a township, joint with Thorlby, in the parish of KILDWICK, eastern division of the wapentake of STAINCLIFFE-and-EWCROSS, West riding of the county of YORK, 1 mile N.W. from Skipton, containing, with Thorlby, 168 inhabitants."


"SUTTON, a township in the parish of KILDWICK, eastern division of the wapentake of STAINCLIFFE-and-EWCROSS, West riding of the county of YORK, 5 miles W.N.W. from Keighley, containing 1092 inhabitants, several of whom are employed in. the manufacture of cotton goods and worsted. There is a place of worship for Baptists."

[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]